What do scientists think about religion?

Members of the scientific community are often seen as doubting Thomases, but the reality is more complex. Even Charles Darwin may have made room for God.

full article: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-masci24-2009nov24,0,7022683.story

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anonymous

• Nothing wrong with being a deist, theist, or pantheist. They didn't go into further detail, maybe the majority of those scientists weren't Christians, maybe they were agnostic theists, who knows.

I personally fit right in with the scientific community, that's why I'm excited to study anthropology in a few years. Studies have shown that the higher the intelligence, the less belief in a higher power.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• heard Albert Einstein wasn't the complete atheist people make him out to be
    Anonymous

• I could say religion is a science also. Allmighty God could be a unique bundle of some known to us powers some not necessary yet so making Him Himself. Sometimes I try to look into Scripture's reading from a side-seat. Amazing, how many ways can I understand the same words. Bible Is So Universal, alike Science. I think.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Science is an explanation of how God works. Without God there would be no science.
    Anonymous

• Not all scientists are against God some are Creation scientists
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• You would probably have to ask the scientist in question. I'm sure their beliefs are varied and diverse.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• That religion and science are incompatible is a myth, created by the bickering of the the athiests/agnostics versus the relgious folks. lol. Mostly centred around evolution versus creation theory.

Sir James Frazers ( some say the father of anthropology ) book The Golden Bough, is where the idea the that man progresses from primitive belief , through religion to scientific thought seems to have found root. The funny thing is I didnt know when i read this book that the man had very limited travel, and was takng his information second hand. While an interesting read, it is now widely criticised. And his theory isnt as supported as it was originally.

zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 1:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Studies have shown that the higher the intelligence, the less belief in a higher power. --- dont be surprised i disagree with this !!! LOL

As a GOOD scientist you are suppose to keep an open mind about research results, and look for flaws in the study or alternative explanations. - its very easy to come up with a theory and then do the research to prove it !

I would argue that the correlation between inteligence and less belief is better answered by the spread of education ! Children are educated and taught "facts ". sometines these facts are presented as undisputable whilst in fact i would argue its actually brainwashing LOL, I was from a science orientated education and use to openly laugh at anyone putting forward creation theory, now I laugh at myself cos i believed in evolution. The correlation could quite simply be that education now discourages belief in a higher power, and it is a false interpretation of results.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 1:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• resp. to 1:24: not all theories are proven, even those that could be proven purely in a theorethical fasion (do you know how theorethical physicists work as oppose to those experimental guys? in experiments not always you prove your assumptions either - wouldn't it be a chaos for all being right? anyway). I'd say: at the highest educational level you believe in higher power. have you heard of unification theory in physics? possibly we know all ... but not all in fact, there are so many physics branches (optics, electricity etc. you can continue), but have anyone come w/ single equation working well for all of them? not yet, that's why i couldn't disagree more - there is a higher power, not known yet to us! by the way - priests study for their profession too. isn't it science as well?
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 6:49 AM on Nov. 26, 2009