Anyone else have kids that DON'T sleep 11-12 hours a night?

I have two little boys, 4 and 1. Neither one of them sleep more than 8 or 9 hours a night. It doesn't matter what I do, after 8 hours they pop their heads up and are wide awake. My 1 yr old will take one nap in the afternoon that lasts an hour, maybe 2 on a lucky day (that doesn't happen often). So I have had to have a later bedtime for my kids. On a regular night they will be asleep by 11 and then up in the morning between 7 or 8. If I put them to bed at a regular hour like other parents I would get no sleep at all. I have tried it and both wake up around 4am.
People (my sister and sil specifically) treat me like I am the worst mother ever because my kids don't go to bed early. I cannot function on 5 hours of sleep so we just all go to sleep at the same time. That way there is a chance of me getting a full 8 hours of sleep.
I don't know what I am supposed to do here! Make them lay in bed screaming for an extra four hours?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids go to bed at 9 and are up by 6, without fail every day. If I get really, really lucky, they might sleep til 7 every now and then, but that usually doesn't happen. And if I put them to bed later....still up at 6, and then just cranky all day. They're beyond naps, so that's out. I know how you feel. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You gotta do what you gotta do to get some sleep.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:37 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I have the same problem. I don't thing you're a bad parent, although you're likely to get huge judgments on this one. A lot fo moms like to pretend they are supermom and only sleep 5 hours or less per night. I personally don't function well when I have to get up at 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning then go all day and my kids only take an hour to hour and a half nap then go until early evening and go down for the night. No thanks.
    Anonymous

• My 3 year old hates to sleep. She always has even when she was a baby she didnt sleep much. I am lucky to get her down by 11 every night. She is usually up between 7-9 and she hardly ever takes naps. She didnt even start sleeping through the night til after her 2nd birthday.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Don't worry about it. Some kids just don't need all that sleep. As long as they are not tired throughout the day, are healthy and growing...you are ok and so are they. Tell whoever is bashing you to MYOB!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2009