What do I do?

I'm at my wits end here! My sweet, loving 3 year old has turned into a monster. She had her terrible two days but they are nothing compared to the "trysome 3s"! She WILL NOT listen to me. When she has made up her mind that she wants to do something she'll do it. For example, the other day I took her to the park for an hour, she's very active and high energy. Well it was time to go and usually when I say that she'll go but that time she ran from me and thought it was so funny. After about 10 minutes of chasing her (I'm also 8 months pregnant and had to push my 1 year old around in the stroller while chasing her) I got very irritated, came up behind her, grabbed her arm and probably looked like a kidnapper as I dragged her to the car kicking/screaming. At home she's been doing things deliberately after being told "no". I always just do time outs but I think after being in time out 3-4 times a day is becoming ineffective!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Give her a warning before she has to stop doing an activity and/or leaving. When she yells, etc IGNORE her. If she walks away from you, tell her that you are leaving and if she doesn't come with you a stranger will take her. Mean, but it really works. Do NOT spank her, be patient, explain things to her and teach her what is appropriate and what isn't. Kids are not mind readers. I suggest the book, "1 2 3 Magic". It is a commonsense approach to discipline that take the emotion out of discipline. It actually works. Read it through and then follow it. Also, the 3's are worse than the 2's.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Do you give her a 15 minute warning before it's time to go? Or take a timer now, and tell her that when it goes off, it's time to go.
    With my 4 year old, I do all of that, and at the last 5 minutes, we start cleaning up, or putting coats on, etc., and I talk about what we/he did during the playtime, like a refresher. It works mainly to distract from the fact that we're going to be leaving or doing something different. It doesn't always work, but mostly it does. She might also be testing boundaries.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I would start taking away priveledges. She is old enough for this to be effective. Take away coloring or toys or something that is going to seem like the end of the world to her. I don't go through this with my daughter thankfully, but this works with my nephew and they are the same age. I try time out and if that is uneffective by the second time I start taking things away. Also, I hate to put it this way but sometimes a good pop on the butt doesn't kill them.
    She may not only be acting out because of the age but also because of all the changes that are coming. That and she knows that you are more vulnerable right now being 8 months pregnant. She knows that there are things you don't feel like dealing with and she is going to push your buttons on those subjects more than others.
    Kids at this age can be brats. But we have to deal with them the best we can.

Good luck and congrats! =)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• The answer NightPheonix gave is also a good idea. With my kids though about 10 mnutes before we leave I already start mentioning that we have ten minutes left to play. Not only does it help to ease out of the playground, but also it begins to teach them about telling time and such.
    Also, if she runs from you then tell her you're going to leave her there and start walking to the car. Don't fall for her games. That's what I do with my daughter and when she thinks I might actually leave her she freaks and comes to me. Sounds hateful but it works, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2009