What happens when you get an eviction notice?

We got the order to show cause for nonpayment today and it says we have 7 days to pay the rent or move out. I thought you could get 30 days to move out?!? We're only one month behind but really dont have any way to pay it. What experiences have you had?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Is it from the court or landlord?
    Anonymous

• I'm pretty sure to be legally evicted it has to go through the courts.

Anonymous

• From the landlord. I havent seen it yet, my husbands on his way home. I guess its really called a "demand for rent." This is the first piece of paperwork we've gotten about not paying the rent.
    Anonymous

• He has to evict you through the court system. If the courts agree to have you evicted they will set a time period for you to leave. If you are not gone by then, the sheriffs will come get you out.

Anonymous

• Call up the landlord and tell them you are broke and try to work out a payment plan.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• OP here - Landlord is a royal douche bag and doesnt care. We tried that already. Thanks though!
    Anonymous

• STATE LAW IS IN TEXAS AND IF U HAVE KIDS , BY LAW THEY HAVE TO GIVE U 30 DAYS TO MOVE OUT !
    Anonymous

• I agree with the other posters it sounds like he is just trying to get money, and not doing anything legally. Call your Attroney General and see what the law states, they can even send you papers on it.
    Anonymous