Measles!!!

My daughter is 7 months old and had the measles. I know she got them from a friend of mine who doesn't vaccinate. Her kids had them 2 weeks ago and my poor DD was around them the day before they started symptoms. I feel like such a horrible mother for taking her around my friends kids when I knew they weren't vaccinated and she wasn't done with her vaccines. I know it's not my friends fault and I'm not mad at her I'm mad at me. how could I put her at risk like that? I mean I knew... Am I being to hard on myself or do you think I should have kept her away from my friends un-vaccinated kids til her shots were done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Stop beating yourself up for something that you have no control over. You put you and your child at risk everday, so stop worrying. Now your daughter will have a life long immunity to measles. Vaccines are not 100% effective, they just lessen the likelihood of contracting a disease or if contracted a lesser case of the disease.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• The MMR vaccine is a LIVE virus so even if those other children HAD been fully vaccinated, they still could have given the measles to your child as the MMR vaccine sheds for up to 28 days. And even if YOUR child was vaccinated for the measles, it doesnt mean that she would not have gotten them. The MMR vaccine is only about 60% effective.

You put your children at risk every day. Did you know that less than 10% of all adults are up to date on the recommended vaccines? Those people tend to be either military personnel or healthcare providers
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• You can't beat yourself up about this. There are all sorts of risks that we expose ourselves and our kids to without thinking. I took a 3 month old on a plane. He could have caught all sorts of stuff. My now 4 yr old (different kid) was exposed to the chicken pox 3x before 6 months. When my DH was 21 he took a plane from LA to Tel Aviv to attend his sisters' wedding. He got the spots the day after the wedding. He was contagious the whole time. You just never know. You cannot live your life in a bubble.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Agreed.....don't beat yourself up Mamma. My daughter was exposed to the chicken pox and I got her the shot right away (when they had first come out). She only got three or four pox at that time, not enough for immunity. No one ever told me that the shot should be repeated in 10 years. Ten years after her chicken pox shot, she was exposed to them again at school and got the chicken pox something awful at 14. I felt horrible that I didn't know and because I didn't know she had to be so sick from something that should have been long past for her. But it really wasn't my fault and it isn't yours either Mamma.
    Anonymous

• Your child now has a life long immunity so no more boosters. Nothing to freak out about. My son got the measles a few years ago from a freshly vaccinated child. He was and is great. My brother lives in England they have measles parties there. It is not that big of a deal.
    Anonymous

• You do realize that your friend's children could have gotten them from a recently vaxed person shedding? Measles is a disease of childhood, not infancy; often infants have very mild cases. The persons most at risk for complications are those with vitamin A deficiencies.

If you are bf then your dd will create her own "medicine" through the act of bf and your own exposure.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:04 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Also, I would make sure this is entered into your baby's medical record and I would keep a personal copy.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2009