Why Didn't You Breastfeed Your Baby?

I run a mommy support blog. I am currently working on developing a breastfeeding section and your input could help me make it more helpful for other moms. It seems like there are a lot of moms that would have been willing to breastfeed if they had had better support and information. In order for me to make my breastfeeding area helpful please be specific as to why you didn't breastfeed (this is not about defending your choice to formula feed).

If you couldn't breastfeed, please explain what you mean by that.

If you think it's gross or it makes you uncomfortable, please explain that better.

If you wanted to breastfeed but were unsuccessful, please share your story so that I can post information on my blog to help and encourage other moms who want to breastfeed.

Thanks ladies.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 6:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tryed but it wasn't for me, the first time.....i could have but i didn't ....it didn't set well with me,i was a new mom and didn't want to have any other problems with learning how to breast feed i would rather use the formula, well i was thinking about breastfeeding my second, but i couldnt because i didn't get breast milk in, but i wish i would have with my first and i would i could have with my second, but it didn't work out that way, i regret not bfing my first and my second, but their happy smart and growing perfectly ...they never get sick, ......and my 3 year old is amazingly bright.....my 10 month old has been talking since she was around 3 months mom and dad sissy, nummy num she says now at as 10 months, almost walking.....
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• i had twin boys besides nursing them all the time i also felt they weren't getting enought to strive on so i supplemented formula and later on rice cereal
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 6:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• my milk wasn't coming in...my son was delivered by c-section 3 weeks early because of medical complications and i think that my body wasn't ready to breastfeed.

my son was already small and was losing wieght for the 2 weeks i was attempting to breastfeed with help of nurses and support. I finally made the decision to put him on formula and he immediately began gaining wieght and is now a happy, bright child at 2.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I have inverted nipples which I am already uncomfortable with enough as it is. The thought of trying to breastfeed with them was a HORROR to me. If I was.."normal" I would have at least tried. I don't think anything could have changed my mind. I was and am just too insecure.
    Anonymous

• Because I'm lazy, I heard that it's hard and can hurt, I just didn't want to, it's icky, nursing in public is nasty and bottles aren't, I wanted my boyfriend to be able to "bond" with the baby too, boobs are for sex not food, I didn't want my boobs to get saggy, did I mention that it's icky, gross, and weird?
    Anonymous

• Nov. 25, 2009 by: Anonymous

Because I'm lazy, I heard that it's hard and can hurt, I just didn't want to, it's icky, nursing in public is nasty and bottles aren't, I wanted my boyfriend to be able to "bond" with the baby too, boobs are for sex not food, I didn't want my boobs to get saggy, did I mention that it's icky, gross, and weird?

________________________

This is sarcasm right?  You don't honestly beleive breasts are for sex not food?

Anonymous

• hey anon 6:44~pregnancy is what makes your boobs sag, not breastfeeding and God made our bodies this way for a reason, so breasts are not for sex. breasts are for feeding our babies! think about it, cows do it. humans are mammals just like cows. it is hard the first 2-4weeks. after that it gets easy. you don't have to get up in the night to make a bottle, you don't spend all that money on formula and it helps you lose the baby weight quicker. i am so happy that i stuck with breastfeeding now i love it. i'm not very modest so i do feed in public, for people who are modest there's a little thing called a breastpump.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 7:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Thank you anon for reminding me about inverted nipples. I forgot about that challenge.

I had inverted nipples prior to my first baby, but my OB told me how to draw them out. I was able to get them popped out before I delivered my baby and I've breastfed 2 babies since with no troubles.

I definitely need to put some information about inverted and flat nipples on my blog.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I posted anon :44. Yes it was sarcasm BUT those are ALL "reasons" I've heard from "moms" before.
    Anonymous

• My first child was only breastfed for a short amount of time. Before he was born, i read every baby book you can imagine (PS, the What to Expect books are nothing but fluff and make better fire starter than reading for soon to be moms), and I thought I knew it all. When my son was born he was severely tongue-tied. No one told me. he had a hard time latching because of it and was not able to efficeintly draw the milk out. When he hit his first growth spurt I freaked out. He was nursing non-stop and never seemed full. I tried to pump and wasn't getting anything. I thought my milk was gone. No one ever told me about growth spurts. I made him a bottle of formula, and he seemed to be so excited and downed a full four ounces. No one told me that babies have to eat differently from a bottle than from the breast, and the "excitement" was actually distress from not being able to perform the "suck, swallow, breathe" that is actually
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 7:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2009