So I just got the papers to sing up for ins through DH work.....

For FAMILY $1028 a MONTH
$25 co pays
$125 hsp co pays
Deductible $4,000
out of Pocket $4,000 (will admit to not understanding what that is!)

We make too much for medicaid...we made a WHOPPING $45,000 last year and have 3 kids. I would love it if those of you that support this farce of a bill could tell me how the current bill helps those of us in the middle class. As far as I can see it helps those just above the poverty line and penalizes everyone else. The monthly cost for HC will be more than my house note!! I want REAL reform for these costs, I dont think this bill helps those like me and my family. Do you?

By the way, I dont mind paying for ins at all, but these prices are outragous!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We need to go back to how insurance was before HMO's. You pay for doctor visits and all "normal" expenses. You go to whatever doctor you want, and you submit the bill to insurance. If it's an actual qualifying expense (lab work, surgery, actual legitimate large expenses) they cut you a check, if not, they credit you towards your max payments until catastrophic coverage kicks in. Insurance shouldn't be paying for everything. What is the logic in that - you pay 12k a year so you don't have to pay $400 a year for the sum total of all the doctor visits your family has?

A friend of mine had a very good analogy - the way health insurance is set up right now is like buying car insurance that covers detailing, replacement wiper blades, washer fluid and gas.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• The health care bill is not in place right now. That what you are paying is the reason we want to get a universal health care going. No one can afford to go see the doctor with a plan that you have right now. I have the same type of plan and have had it for years and it sucks.
    Anonymous

• UHC means 50% in taxes taken out of our paychecks and god only knows the hikes in other taxes. How is that any better Anon?
    Anonymous

• I agree with you 100%. You basically are paying for insurance that an overwhelming health problem will not wipe you out entirely. Unless he is unemployable, I would hope my husband would look for a company with better benefits. $Who can afford $4,000 year in medical bills. Out of pocket may apply to anything you pay for that is not covered and therefore, had no copay applied, like medical equipment, medications, homecare services, etc. I feel for ya. It's a crime.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• wait, you have private insurance? how has a bill that hasn't been passed made your premiums increase?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I never said it increased my premiums. Please tell me where in that I said that? We missed the 90 day mark and had to wait till the yearly open time to get ins. That time is now. The paperwork was in with his pay stub today. So, how about instead of being snarky you answer the question or leave. The question is how does this bill, the one that hasnt been passed yet(added just for your benefit Auto), help those like me who pay these outrageous prices?  As far as I can see it helps those just above the poverty line and penalizes everyone else.

Anonymous

• how has a bill that hasn't been passed made your premiums increase?

I think her point was the bill isn't going to make them go any lower. And it's true - if anything they'll go even higher, because they have those "mystery criteria" all insurance plans must meet or they won't count and you'll still have to pay a fine. (criteria that won't actually be spelled out until 18 months after it passes)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I had a donkey insurance policy when I could pay less for the med's than the insurance. OK, then that it only covers 50 percent, so bill is 100k for a hospital stay and I still need to pay 50k. They took the 400 month and I never was able to get the dental done either. Paying right now but cannot afford to get help. Does not matter Lose job Dec 15 2009. I do not want government anything, it is just a highway to my hard earn income. It was Anthem your covered just never get in trouble or get sick they will not pay or you will be messed up for life financially.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like what we have and DH doesn't make anything even close to $45,000. We don't take medicaid, either. What's your point?
    Anonymous

• In case you didn't know, the $1028 is his income which is not taxed. It isn't like you are paying premiums after tax, so look at it as a much lower number, like $800 something. You are doing much better than you make it seem here.
    Anonymous