I need some statistics.

I am writing a book about mothers being scapegoats in our society. Since I've been in here, I've seen a lot of women who have disowned their mothers but no mothers who have been disowned by their children. Is there anyone out there who has been disowned by their children and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Not quite what you are looking for but my children are adopted and two of them have contacted bio mothers, neither is interested in pursuing relationship with their bio moms.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 7:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Probably because you told them lies and told them things that are untrue about there BIO parents.
    Anonymous

• ME. My oldest daughter. Disowned me. She said the reason is because I was to strict, her word are abusive. I do not think I was abusive, just strict. She says I am to negative. Now she goes and tells my youngest DD that she was almost molested as a child. But she will not talk to me so I can not find out any info about what she is meaning by that. I think, how are we suppose to straighten things out if we do not talk.

Answer by louise2 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• We did disown our son for about 3 years. We had had our fill of the drugs, lies, stealing from us. Never finishing rehab. The day he stole my husbands Harley Davidson and wrecked it was the last straw. He had lots of harsh words but we simply told him we will not watch you kill yourself anymore. Do not come to our home, do not call do not email or write unless you can pass a drug test and been clean at least 6 months. 2 years later he finally pulled his head out and did get clean. We are currently back in touch again but it is a day by day thing. What really sucked about the whole thing was as the parents of an over 21 yr old adult there were NO legal options open to us.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I disowned my mother but my children haven't disowned me but they are under 5.
    Anonymous

• Excuse me Anonymous 7:44, but I never told my kids anything about their bio moms or dads,for goodness sakes their parents are a part of who they are if I put down the birth parents then I put down my children. When my children turned 18 I did what I could to help them find the bio parents. I sent them to visit and/or invited bio parents to visit, my kids are intelligence people and can decide for themselves the character of people. The intelligence, beautiful eyes and genetics come from these people, the love, caring, and moral makeup come from us. Get that chip off your shoulder.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 6:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• anonymous: I have been disowned by my daughter but my other adult children and minor ones completely respect me and love me. Her dad chose to not be in her life when we were married; hers or any of the kids. Then she decided to try to have a relationship with him after the divorce. I can't be sure but I feel as though their relationship is built on the foundation of hatred for me. She parrots the things her father says and runs to her brothers and sisters with it. Her siblings can't figure out why she is doing what she is doing. I second Higherbound mom when she says that putting down a birth parent is putting down the child. I don't know why my daughter doesn't see that when her dad degrades me like he does. Maybe she does unconsciously because she is the only one who seems to be stressed out and in anxiety all of the time. I worry about her and love her very much.
    forevermom9

Answer by forevermom9 at 3:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Answered at 7:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Probably because you told them lies and told them things that are untrue about there BIO parents.

^^That response was highly inappropriate. Just because some people do that, does not mean most do. That was an awful thing to say.
    Anonymous

• My mother disowned my sister when she was 16 she is now 46 and my parents have not seen her since. I have tried to figure out why but I have no clue. I only remember her being a brat when she was a teen, but who wasnt once or twice.... I still have a relationship with my sister and I just cant figure it out.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 10:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2009

• No But my parents have disowned me and treat me like crap.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2009