Should I put my foot down towards my stepson?

My stepson brings his son over almost everyday without warning and leaves his son with me. His son is 2 months younger than my daughter. I have asked him to let me know before he comes over. He never does.

mtgrlinkc

Asked by mtgrlinkc at 7:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just ask him why he's doing it? Why he wouldn't want to spend time with his child, and if not, could he just leave him with his mother. You'd be willing to babysit, but you'd have to set up a financial agreement with him.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I'm guessing that one day you won't answer the door or really won't be home and he will be nailed to the wall. Or he will show up and you will forget to tell him that DD has something highly contagious and oh well.

I would have your DH talk to his son and tell him that he needs to respect your wishes - you need a call first and sometimes the answer will be no. And if he doesn't respect your wishes the answer will be no until he does.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Need a lil more info...like what does he do when he leaves his son with you? Is he working? Maybe he thinks that the younger ones like to play together? I mean he is family so just talk to him and find out his reasons....technically you are grandma!
    Charmedmommy82

Answer by Charmedmommy82 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Call him up and tell him I am not your baby sitter. Do not open the door to him when he comes over.

Answer by louise2 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Tell your husband to tell HIS son that you are not his free sitter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Yes. If you are interested in a formal arrangement you may want to discuss it and write a "contract," but if you are not interested in being a babysitter, just say no.

Though it may seem like common sense to you to ask first, he may think you don't mind as the baby's grandmother (and you haven't said anything to dispel that).
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Just because she is the grandma doesn't mean she's the always available free sitter. I'd never do that to my mom. I always ask if I leave my daughter with her.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Well from a grandmothers view, I love all my grandchildren but I am not babysitting every day.. What is he doing during the time you have the child?
    Anonymous

• Stop by his house with your kid.
    Anonymous

• yes you should be honest with him about how you feel

Answer by admckenzie at 11:03 PM on Nov. 25, 2009