Bumper Pads in cribs

When I had my daughter 4 yrs ago we used bumper pads in the crib. Now that I am due in the spring with baby # 2 I have been told that your not suppose to use bumpers anymore. I was even told when I leave the hospital I have to sign saying I am not using them.

Anyone know anything about this?

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 9:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never heard about it....that sounds over the top..we used a bumper pad on dd's crib and she's 18 months..but as soon as she could pull up on the crib, we lowered the frame, and took the bumper off.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• ya its a new law thing with the sids they say that your baby can roll and get its head up too the pad and suifacate(sp ) we just go told that at our drs apt
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• If you look online you can find alternatives. In one magazine I saw a mesh cover that wraps around the inside of the crib. It prevents the child from getting caught in the slats AND it was safe for the baby. Klinemom2, when did they pass that law? My son is 15 months and we never were told anything about that.
    KurgansMom

Answer by KurgansMom at 9:27 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I used a bumper pad. The way I see it...it's hard for a baby to suficate with a pad that thin. It's not much thinner than matress sheet (at least mine wasn't). People worry way too much about certain things.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Wow, thats nuts that they want you to sign something, wtf? It's none of their damn business. How can ANYTHING SIDS RELATED be LAW. Nobody even KNOWS what causes it. That's ridiculous. I'd much rather have that bumper there and know my baby isn't going to be bashing their head on that hard wood.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• i use the bumper for my 8months old and i have been using it since she was 5months old. she is fine. actually she sleeps right upagainst it so i am so thankful for it. ofcourse i never had her in there until she could roll over on her own. so it reduces sids when they start rolling over. . get a wearable blanket. its the best thing to keep the babies on their back and keeps them warm. it was a lifesaver especially for swaddling. so much easier thent he regular blankets. good luck.
    Anonymous

• I use bumper pads now. I don't think they can require that you not use them. It is suggested that they can be a SIDS hazard. But I'm pretty sure it is a personal choice.
    I use them because I worry about him getting his arms/legs caught. When he starts rolling though, I'll take them out - but that's just my choice!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 27, 2009