Is Formula laced with gold?

I never realize just how expensive formula is. What makes it so expensive? Is the overhead that steep to produce formula or is it just a high profit margin? Is there some step in producing formula that I'm missing that justifies the cost. I think with this economy they are pricing themselves out of the market. Wouldn't be surprise if more women decide to BF just because they can't afford to FF.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Here's some information about the profit margin of formula companies (you have to scroll down a bit):

http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/content/1/1/8

They're ripping us off, basically.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:39 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Wouldn't be surprise if more women decide to BF just because they can't afford to FF.

That would be a good thing. :o) I think they know that people will pay it so they can charge what they want.
    Anonymous

• I'm going to get bashed for this, I know I am. BUT, here goes, at the present time formula feeding is more common among those on the lower end of the economic scale. Yes, I know that's a generalization but it's how things are. The people on that lower end qualify for WIC and/or food stamps that pay for the formula so they don't care how much it costs, they aren't really paying for it. So the companies can, and do, charge as much as they want and they know it.
    Anonymous

• Can't beat the price of breast milk, it's free! I think it would be great if more women decided to BF, even if it was an economical decision. Whatever the reason, it's a good decision.
    CMcDougal

Answer by CMcDougal at 9:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• They can charge whatever they want because once a mom decides to not breastfeed and lets her milk dry up, it's the ONLY option. Doesn't matter if it's expensive, makes the baby gassy, is being recalled all the time, etc.
    Anonymous

• OP here. Anon 23: I just can't believe that formula companies make the bulk of their profit from WIC. I know its a fact that women with higher incomes and education are more likely to BF. Which seems backwards to me. Is it all profit than? Is that where the cost comes from?
    Anonymous

• All I know is that we saved a BUNDLE by breast feeding. I thought about switching at some point because he was refusing to take even a pumped bottle so I couldn't leave him for more than an hour or so... but then I thought about how much we were saving by not having to buy formula!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I think formula is so expensive just because the companies can charge that much and get away with it. I hate to say that, but I think it is true. I am pregnant for the third time and I plan to try and breast feed longer than a month. I had a hard time with it the last 2 times and this time since things have gone up so much, I am going to try to stick with it.
    kajunmomma

Answer by kajunmomma at 11:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Marketing is expensive. And that's where the money goes.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I wonder if the prices are dramatically different in other countries.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2009