How can you tell if your kid will be a nerd?

It sounds very wierd, but, my 8 year old son is so different from his peers and I'm worried that socially he won't fit in and may get teased. Of course I think he's top dog, but I'm his mom. Will he outgrow this stage, or is this his basic personality? He acts very Leanard Nemoy from Star Trek, very proper and mechanical. Hope I described it right. He's basically a little "uptight" and his dad and I are not like that. Could this be a phase?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Geeks are cute. Be proud.
    Anonymous

• aww i totally understand the concern. I hope and pray that my son is treated right in school because some kids are just so cruel. No matter what happens us moms have to be our kids biggest fans and support them thru thick and thin. Geeks really are adorable tho :)

31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• The glasses, high pants, and pocket protectors are dead giveaways.
    Anonymous

• Just remind him that one of the richest men in the U.S was and still is a geek.....school is just a short stop on his road of life. The petty insecure children that make fun of him now could be working for him in the future.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Nothing wrong with it....has he been evaluated for Asperger's or PDD-NOS?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Let him alone. So what if he is a "nerd". The nerds are the people laughing at all the kids that teased them in school. The nerds are making the big bucks. I would have to say that I was a nerd in school and guess what? I had a lot of friends and still do. Kids are more accepting than you think. My friend (of 25 yrs) and I were talking with our kids the other day about how we were in school. We both laughed and said, "NERDS and proud of it". As long as he is making friends and having fun, let it be. He will be who he will be. There are many very successful, powerful and rich nerds out there.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Nerds are the best! Look at Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:50 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Geeks are cute. Be proud.

THIS, ftw!

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:26 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• they are gonna get made fun of no matter what .. let him be a kid...
    monnie2cute

Answer by monnie2cute at 6:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2009