What is this world coming to?

First a teen is set on fire by other teens.
Then a teenage girl is lured BY HER FRIENDS and she gets gang raped by six TEENAGE boys.
Not to mention the stupid "Kick a Ginger Day" thanks to fucking South Park.

WHat is the world coming to when our children are being violent to one another and why aren't the fucking parents stepping up??

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 9:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's coming to a place where I shouldn't open questions entitled "what is this world coming to." The contents always give me nightmares.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:18 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Because it cant be THEIR sweet angels. Too many parents are into making excuses for their kids. Kid failing school...teachers fault! Kid not behaving.....the OTHER kid made em do it. Its ALWAYS somebody Else's fault. But they come by it honest...a great deal of society doesnt believe in accountability and THAT is the BIGGEST problem!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• There comes a time when the parents aren't responsible for their actions. Teenagers know right from wrong and should be punished when they do things like that. Our "justice" system isn't doing anything to stop people like that. It's sad.

And I take offense to that "kick a ginger"day. I hate being called a "ginger."
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• All you can do is protect your own..and homeschool. Public education is a farce, it worked when America thought it could be a white utopia but obviously that couldn't work for long in the face of the world so then came desegregation. However, you can't bring a bunch of overly privileged (by way of affirmative action) children and severely underprivileged children together and not have the cycle that has continued ever since. Obvious resentment from both ends, starting with their disturbed parents. The cycle has not been broken because the equality has never been righted. Mine will not go to school. I do feel awful for the teachers. They can't teach anymore. I got lucky to have good non bigoted grade school teachers. Parents really need to take charge of their responsibilities and stop passing the babysitting onto the gov't and taxpayer. However, I do say that in my case, I gained skills first then had my child and I'm SAHM.
    Anonymous

• May I also say that the perpetrators of these crimes were once innocent children, but I find more and more, that we only have the capacity to greater than animals. Think of the wolf boy. If children are treated like animals/mutts, they cannot be the best that a human can be. All they have are their animal instincts. So really I find there is no way to fix this mess without government having the right to limit children to parents who have to rely on government help. I have one child and think its ridiculous that anyone thinks they can handle even 2. The expense and peace of mind is extremely challenging with one precious gift. Those who just breed are no different than dogs/cats and our society suffers. Why do you think they are importing so many workers. Ours are not getting educated. Thats another story. Our country is going to shit with this lax approach to ignoring the marginalized.
    Anonymous

• Parents are rarely home. They don't insist on having their kids home. There is no closeness. The family unit has disappeared, Parents go out...kids stay home and watch violent TV and play violent video games. They get together with their fruiends at school and do bad things and tear others down to build themselves up! They have to associate with kids because their parents are not there. The parents are tuned out and they din't discipline,set limits.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Okay anonymous....I don't know if you're both the same person but your answers were a little....self righteous. IT doesn't matter if the person raising children is educated, black, white, brown, yellow or purple. Teachers are not there to babysit our children but perhaps they should teach them a lesson on respect for others. PARENTS should teach them that from the beginning. They should not just depend on teachers and the goverment to teach our kids for us. And irresponsible people should not have children. SNOBBY people...people who think they are above everyone else, should not teach their kids to be such snobs either. Bottom line is, parents need to disipline their kids more and not blame everyone else or wait til they're serial killers to punish their asses.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• It's happened a long as there have been kids for it to happen to. Only, with the invention of the internet, we're being exposed to more of it. Also, kids can get ideas online and take it to pull their pranks.

But extreme bullying is nothing new. I mean, look at the movie Carrie. It came out like 35 years ago and the teasing they do is still relevant to today's world. People are cruel, especially teenagers. Some girls did some pretty mean things to me when I was in school, and I hate that I never fought back. I shouldn't have let them get away with it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Teenagers DO know right from wrong, but if they are initially raised in an environment that condones or turns a blind eye to these kinds of actions it's pretty inevitable what is going to happen. If parents do not step in early on, this is what we end up with.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:27 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Imogine - I agree that more parents need to discipline their kids and I'm all for discipline. However, today's society has hindered traditional discipline of our kids. Sometimes, grounding just does not work and a good swift smack to the backside is in order. In today's world, that is considered child abuse. I do not condone beating the crap out of a kid, but some good old fashioned "tanning" is in order for many kids (sometimes that's the only thing that will get through their thick skulls). It should begin when kids are younger, but also are able to be taught right from wrong. Use the 3 strike scenario - after 3 times of yelling and/or grounding, if nothing is resolved, it's time to instill what our forefathers did to their children when out of line. Parents today will not do it simply by the way society has made it so easy for a kid to turn them in for abuse. There is a difference between ABUSE and discipline.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 6:35 AM on Nov. 26, 2009