Does anyone know where to find a free Doula?

I am going in trying a VBAC. Apparently I was completely uneducated the first time around and had to end up with a C-Section. I was so mad when I found out theres ways to prevent a c-section, such as not allowing them to strap you to a bed with all their equip for 26 hours!!!! Anyway i cant afford a doula, but I have heard that a unregistered or uncertified doulas looking for certification need experiance there fore offering their services for free. I just have no idea how to find one. The only ones you can find online are the ones that charge. Im at a dead end. help!

Austin (area), TX

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wow I'd be interested in knowing too. I had a doula with my 1st, didn't need one after that I knew much more subsequent times around, but it would be nice to recommend to younger friends.

Answer by missanc at 9:18 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Is it possible that an Aunt your Mom or a sister could help you?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:18 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I wish I had a family member up for the job. Unfortunetly they're just as uneduacated as I am.A couple of years ago I actually had a certified Doula reccommend this to me and give me a list of free doulas in the area and unfortunetly i no longer have it. I talkd with a labor nurse the day and she recommended the same thing to me, but didnt know how to get in touch with one. So its back to square one!
    Anonymous

• Look on the DONA website. It's specially for doulas. You might try ICAN as well. Good job trying for a VBAC!
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Oh and most doulas will work with you on the cost. Either lowering it or letting you make payments or forgetting about it all together. The one I looked into was $250
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Here you go sweetheart! Contact DONA. They should be able to put you in contact with someone who needs some experience under their belt to be licensed! I wish you the best. www.dona.org
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 9:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• If you find a doula, chances are good that she will offer a sliding-scale fee to a mom who asks for help. She's likely to have some referrals for other doulas that can provide reduced rates or free services. And they will probably know who is in-training, getting certified, too.
    I have a list that you can investigate, too!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• http://birthpartners.com/

ICAN is another good searching point.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2009