Is this normal for a daddy?

My dd is 1yr old and just now my hubby made a strange confession to me. He said that his penis gets a little hard if our baby touches it accidentally or if she's sitting too close to it. He gets no sexual thoughts or arousal from it. It's more like a reflex, kinda involuntary. That is why he has always refused taking a bath with her. Please don't judge him, he's a really good man and would never hurt our daughter. He's never told anyone before and just wants to know if this is normal. We have a great relationship and he's an awesome dad. Please don't reply to tell me he is a pedophile, just save the rude comments.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think he's a pedophile, but this is not normal either. I'm not saying he's bad, I understand he has no control of it, but I think he should talk to a doctor about that. There's no shame in talking to a doctor about it, it would be best for the whole family.
    Anonymous

• I dont think thats normal at all.
    Anonymous

• It may not be common but that does not mean it's wrong. Men get erections all the time when different things push up against their penis. Your husband is NOT a pedophile and NOT turned on by the baby! Anybody who thinks he is obviously knows nothing about this!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• if it was how many men would admit to this? i would have him tell a dr like the first poster said. or do research online to see if others have posted the same concerns.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I think that is absolutely abnormal and I would ask that he speak to his Dr. about it. I'm sure it is freaking him out just as much as it must be freaking you out. My dad had custody of my growing up and I can guarantee his penis never budged if I sat in his lap, accidentally touched it or got near it. I am NOT calling your DH a pedophile, but I would no longer be comfortable leaving him unsupervised with your daughter. He doesn't understand why he is having this reaction and he may not understand why he touches your daughter next. I am not bashing, I am just giving you my honest opinion and concerns because you were brave enough to come on here and ask. I do not think it is normal for a Daddy at all.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My husband says that it sounds a little weird. How old is your DH? My husband said that when he was younger (like in his teens) it was very sensitive and anything could set it off, but now that he's older (30) it's not so easy to do. He said that it's a little weird that it happens enough that your husband is concerned about it, and that your husband is obviously thinking about it a lot.

I wonder if he is thinking about it so much, and so worried about it happening, that he is super aware of it which makes it more likely to happen. I think he might be thinking about his penis when it happens, like he's hyper-aware of it.

I know you said you don't want rude comments, and I'm not trying to be rude, but I would certainly feel uncomfortable with this new information and be a little more watchful though not in an accusatory or overreacting sort of a way.It doesn't sound normal, but it doesn't sound inherently dangerous either
    Anonymous

• my hubby gets a bath with our 17 month old son atleast once a week and no he has never experienced this. I definitely dont think its anything to worry about. Hey if your hubby can openly talk to you about this then obviously its not with intentions. Dont stress it.

31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Go to a doctor. It kinda sounds like he's trying to tell you something and that's the only way he knew how. I would be uncomfortable if my husband said that about my daughter.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• That is definitely not normal. If his penis were truly sensative to touch, then his pants rubbing on his penis would cause an erection. I agree with the poster above me, he is trying to tell you something and you need to listen.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 10:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Wow there are a lot of ignorant woman on here how many of you have a penis. It is very normal to get an erection and it not a sexual arousal. The wind blows anything can cause it.

Do NOT listen to these other woman here who have no idea what they are talking about
    Anonymous