medela swing pump?

so i'm due in a few days, and still need to get a pump. i'm a sahm, and don't think i'll be needing to pump a lot. just an occasional bottle for daddy while i'm out.
this is my first time breastfeeding, and i don't know when i should even introduce the pump... so i don't know when i need to buy it by. at the breastfeeding class, the lc said she thought the medela swing would be a good choice for me, as it would be occasional, and i have the time for a single pump. do you have any thoughts? have you used it? do you like it?

abelsmama07

Asked by abelsmama07 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I bought the double one by Medela and wished I had saved my money and bought the single. The pump itself is great, works great, no pain really, I was very happy with it. The only thing was that I only ever pumped one side at a time. I NEVER and I mean NEVER sat there and pumped both sides at once. For one thing, it was easier to just put the milk in one storage container than have two half full containers, and for another I liked having one hand free to adjust the pressure or scratch an itch! I say go with the single one, I wish I had.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• i like the medela dual action single pump..(it was white and yellow it had a hand pump and a thumb pump so easy to use)..often times i would pump on one breast while i nursed on the other. i did this because when the milk dropped on side it would on the other as well..and i didn't want to just drip every where and waste the milk. this also helped me to produce more. more demand more supply. and you can freeze it until you need it.
    Anonymous

• i bought this pump and i'm so glad i did rather than pay twice as much for the double pump. it's small and portable and works great. I used mine right from the beginning- i would get so engorged and my nipples were so sore that I had to pump a few times a day. now i barely use it at all but it was great to have the first 6 weeks.
    laurenmason

Answer by laurenmason at 12:34 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• The Swing is AWESOME. I have both it and the Pump In Style Advanced. The only difference is the Swing vibrates alittle more (un-noticeable unless you use the PIS regularly) and has a more gentle suction. Get one, you'll love it :D
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 2:19 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• i have the swing. its working for me. at first i bought the manual one (got scared w/ the hospital electric one), manual worked fine till my breasts got full (us having friends home, me busy, and the manual could not do the job, well, maybe i needed larger shield, later bought a set... anyway, manual was a waste of time). i love swing. i pump exclusively on it and it's ok, but time taking much. now my boy is 9 mths and i start feeling i'd like the duo. time cut in half. i'd say - purchase the duo and use just as single have you chosen at the beginning.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 2:19 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I really liked my Swing. I didn't have to pump often either and it worked well for me. You really want to wait to start pumping and introducing a bottle until baby is 4-6 weeks old. Those first weeks are crucial to establishing supply and baby is best at that. You should check out the Breastfeeding Moms group on here. They are wonderful!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 10:13 AM on Nov. 26, 2009