What's the difference between abortion and suicide?

Obviously they are different. But I was wondering...

One common sentiment pro-choicers express is that it is wrong to tell someone what they can or cannot do with their own body.

But if an adult person is standing about to jump off a cliff, it would be considered despicable to say, "Well, that's their choice." and not try to stop them.

How is this different? I'm 100%, passionately pro-choice, by the way, and also believe someone who is suffering should have the right to opt out. Just having random thoughts tonight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The difference I see is that the baby doesn't have an option. It takes other people standing up for the baby in order for him or her to be able to live.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Just my thoughts.......The person being aborted has no say in whether or not they get to live. The person commiting suicide has made the choice for themselves.
    Anonymous

• You can try and talk a jumper down but you cant force a jumper to not jump. Im pro-choice too and i dont personally agree with suicide. I'ts not because someone is taking their life, its because they are ruining the lives of the people that love them. If someone is deteremined to kill themsevles then they will do it no matter what others think. Its just the same as with abortions, people will get abortions wheter or not they are legal. No one can truely stop suicide or abortion. Its the sad sad truth.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• To me abortion is not anything like suicide. It is more like murder. There is a live baby forming inside of your body that deserves to have a chance to live and breath on the outside. A baby is no matter how far a long is the making of a human being. I don't believe it should be the mothers right to decide if that baby should live or not just because she made a mistake and got pregnant. There are other options. I also believe that killing yourself is never the right answer. And those who do just needed a little help. Sure if you want to do it do it but, I believe if anyone had a little extra help they would have made a different choice.

smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• i don't know why people make such a big deal over abortions...women should always have the right to it if they want...but i feel it should be only in cases such as rape or if something is seriously wrong with the baby. Some may say abortion is murder and suicide is..."suicide" but i dont see how abortion can be murder if you do it early in the pregnancy. The fetus isnt aware of whats going on..it feels no pain
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Suicide is self inflicted murder, abortion is killing at the hands of a mother.
    Anonymous

• An embryo doesn't have consciousness.

Anonymous

• "Suicide is self inflicted murder, abortion is killing at the hands of a mother. "

technically its the doctor "killing" not the mother. if you want to point fingers then do it in the right directions. Most (not all) women feel there is no other option than abortin.
    Anonymous

• An embryo doesn't have consciousness.
    bullshit
    Anonymous

• An embryo doesn't have consciousness.
    bullshit

Most abortions occure between 5-7 weeks and I'm sorry to burst your bubble but you can go to any baby website and check out developement. The main growth is in heart cells. There are no complex neuro pathways.
    Anonymous