What can I do for 4 year old with a bad, constant cough?

My daughter had a cough a few weeks ago but then it subsided and then she developed a fever last Sat but it has been on and off. She stayed home from school on Mon and was back on Tues. Teachers said she was fine just sneezing and runny nose but then today they said she has been coughing so much during her nap that it woke her up. Took her to the dr tonight and he said she has the flu because thats what all the kids are coming in for. I have given her triaminic, used a vaporizer, rubbed her with vicks and put some under her foot. The cough today just seems so bad and the poor girl isnt sleeping well. Please help as to what I can give her. She is asleep right now but has been constantly coughing.

mcpayne116

Asked by mcpayne116 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try citrus juices. My son does really well with pineapple.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Did they check her for any symptoms of Asthma? My son use to do the exact same thing, he couldnt shake a cough. Found out later that it was mild asthma that was making his "normal" cough worse and causing him to not be able to get over it in a normal amount of time.

Just thought I would mention it. Any other symptoms are very hard to notice in my son.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• If she wakes up coughing, I would suggest you take her into the bathroom, shut the door and run hot water to steam her up. Keep her sitting in there for about twenty minutes while she inhales the steam. (Don't let her catch a chill when done- make sure she is bundled up). I would keep a vaporizer in her room where she is sleeping. Either add some Vick's Vaporub to the vaporizer or apply to her chest. You might find out what her Pediatrician recommends as a good cough medicine. Otherwise, coughing is good. She needs to try to get up the mucus if she can.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:43 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Thank you everyone for your answers. The ped did check her breathing and said she had no breathing issue like going too fast but not an actual asthma test. I was using Delsym before but he said if that wasnt working to try Triaminic or Robitussin. The thing is the Delsym used to work when she had a cough before but I think because she may have the flu is why it is taking so long to get better. i will try the steam in the bathroom next. Thank you again.
    mcpayne116

Answer by mcpayne116 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I just went through this myself, my 6 year old just couldn't stop coughing. We used 8oz warm water(he doesn't like tea) 3tsps honey, and a little bit of lemon(just a squrit). Worked right away!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Thanks how reb, will give that a try. i will try anything that I hear since I hate seeing her like this.
    mcpayne116

Answer by mcpayne116 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2009