Are we really able to co-habitate with each different creed

someone else asked this question related to diversity weak or strong, but I ask more directly. Are we not just different tribes of people who are better off with our own people. Would not there be less confusion, depression and hatred if everyone just lived their lives out in their own regions. After all, it is the region that made you look the way you do, and the culture follows, hence our independent histories, and that which we value most in the world, divides us all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Uh oh, I hear the race baiters on their way.
    I am sure that there are a lot of people that feel this way.
    Anonymous

• I think that would be pretty boring. I love getting to know different cultures. I've seen plenty of people find true love by crossing these lines. I think isolation only breeds the hatred and confusion. It is only in understanding each other and knowing each other that we can break down those walls. Look at places like Iraq where there is so much fighting between tribes that we don't even know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. What you are proposing goes against everything America stands for.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Yeah, that world would be extremely bland, tasteless, and in my opinion, meaningless. My very existence on earth is to study other cultures, languages, customs, traditions, values, stuff like that. If I had to stay within the Bible Belt for the rest of my life and never see anyone of a different race or upbringing from me...oh my god I think I'd explode. My own husband is from a different culture and he's not even totally white. I can't imagine ever being married to someone else. I count myself as very lucky to have met a man that's not from the US whose family dynamics are much different than my own. I find it fascinating to study different family types.

But I guess I can somehow understand how some people would rather stay with their own kind. I just don't find any fun in it, that's all.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I think it would be very boring if things were like that. What would be better, is for everyone to turn on their Common Sense buttons, and start living life in a peaceful manner. If people would voluntarily help each other much more, taxes would be lowered, and crime would go down, because people would know that their "neighbor" will always lend a helping hand.

I just don't understand what is so flippipng awful about helping others and not hating each other. Differing opinions are great, it's the "special sauce" of life. Just learn to peacefully respect other points of view, and the rest can follow.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I think that diversity can be an asset so long as we are willing to accpet diversity. Life would be very boring if we were all the same. This argument also presupposes that, if we all just stuck to our own, we would not have conflict. I disagree- look at all the various schisms that exist in most religions, even when the basic beliefs are the same. Unfotunately we human beings seem to find 'differences' even when they are minimal. Rather than 'keeping to our own' I think we would be better off with a 'live and let live' type mentality about differences.
    Just for the record, as someone who married outside their own race/religion/cultural group, I am very glad we have the opportunity for diversity that we do! It doesnt' have to be divisive... only if we make it that way.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:21 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Um, easy answer, doesn,t matter.

Do your kids fight? Mine do. They all belong in the same place, and they'd damn near kill each other some days.

Same thing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• OP here: I like all your candid feedback, last two really re-inspired me. Perhaps as I get older I find myself less interested in figuring things out. I do recall a day when I thought the same way you two do and your points make sense and hit home. I did not mean there would be NO CONFLICT, just less it seemed. It just seems, if you think about it, that there is so much more antagonism and we might be better off exclusive to each others regions/creed. I ask you to again think harder, doesn't it seem SOOO MUCH HARDER for others who are subject to "strangers" to ever accept them. Look at the native americans and the europeans for criminy sake, has that ever really changed. NO! Natives have been more than magnanimous, which I attribute to a spiritual vision, yet the "strangers" did not grow enough compassion in several hundred years to NOT displace every single one from their homes and relegate them to unfertile lands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I actually completely agree with you OP...it's not a racial superiority thing for me, it's simply believing that people will generally get along better in groups of other people with whom they share common ethnicity, culture, religions, etc. This "melting pot" stuff just doesn't work in the real world. I know we're more than animals, but we ARE highly intelligent animals, and look how it works in the animal kingdom.It's just nature, but I know it's horribly politically incorrect to take this stance. I am not saying that it's impossible for people to abide w/ others that are different from them; I just think in general things would be a lot more peaceful if things were the way you described.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I love learning about and exploring other cultures. But I don't know if all cultures are able to co-mingle successfully as one society. Mainly because culture is so closely attached to religion, and some of the larger religions believe converting others is a cornerstone of their beliefs. That compunction to convert and the belief that only their own religion is the "right" religion causes tensions that are hard to overcome. And the use of religions to justify cultural practices, even within different branches of the same religions, so that they become immune to criticism causes further tensions.

How does one live in peace and respect with someone that they believes they must convert you to their own beliefs? That isn't a place of respect, but one of disrespect as they are saying you are wrong and they are right. Especially if you are thinking the same thing about them.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 9:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Not really. My family is a melting pot of white, Hispanic, and Asian. My region of the country has three dominate races, white, Hispanic and Native American. I have friends of all three.  I like diversity. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:27 AM on Nov. 26, 2009