How to get an 11.5 month old to eat vegetables/fruit

She loved them when they were pureed, but I introduced her on solids around 9 months and now she just eats what we eat. I think she's having texture issues though, because she grimaces at the taste of real peas or bananas whereas she tore them up from the jar. She'll even spit most of it out. I'm worried she won't get the nourishment her body needs now. I really don't want to switch her back to baby food. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Blend bananas with spinach and a little water and give as a smoothie. My son loves those.

My son absolutely loves fruit and veggie. I would also maybe stick to raw fruits and veg as opposed to cooked.

Try different fruits. Melon, mangoes are really good at that age as well. Melons contain a lot of minerals as well as vitamins.

For fat avocado is great - try squeezing a little lime and mashing and mixing.

Generally though my son didn't start really getting into solids until he was around 14 months and only now at 2 is eating 3 meals a day as such.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• MY son is huge on texture and for a while we did only canned fruits and veggies because we couldnt aford anything else. He would never eat anything that came from a can. I finally got an idea to start making it possible to get fresh fruit and veggies or frozen and cook it til it was crisp but not soggy. He hasnt ever stopped eating his fruits or veggies again. With bananas it was a little more difficult though because they are naturally squishy. I bought a bunch that was slightly green one day and they lasted maybe 6 hrs after i brought them home.

Try experimenting with the length of time you cook the veggies. maybe she likes it more crunchy or softer (more like baby food). If you are concerned about her intake of vitamins then ask her doc what you can do.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• My son was the same way. Except at first he would eat everything solid and now he is 14 months old and he picks what he wants to eat. Sense i never know what mood he is going to be in. I started buying the YO baby Yo Yogurt for 12 months and over..My sons favorite one is the one with yogurt peas and green beans in it. (I know it sounds nasty..lol) But, it is in the form of yogurt. They have different kids they come in single yogurt sizes. Not the ones that come in small size with 6 to a pack those are for yonger babies. they have different flavors. Also if you have the time you could buy a small food prosser and smash the veggies up? We like the yo baby yo yogurt though!

smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I'm sorry I meant to say yogurt, pears and green beans..It has there dairy, fruit and veggie in it. I think they are awesome!

smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Try frozen blueberries, peas and corn Avocado chunks

Answer by rkoloms at 10:46 AM on Nov. 26, 2009