of War and Sin/Karma

In war, killing is inevitable. If you are a solder on the front lines, chances are very good you will have to kill someone (or several others). You will have to take your gun (or whatever weapon) and pull your trigger (or what-have-you) and end another person's (or people's) life. That's war. That's being a solder.

Killing is wrong. Several religions tout that from "Thou shall not kill" to "And ye harm none". Taking another human being's life is wrong. So my question for you all is:

Who is karmically responsible for the killing that happens in war. Upon whom's soul is that sin? Is it the solder who pulls the trigger? Is it the commanding officer who gives the order? Is it the Commander in Chief who declares war? In the eyes of the Lord (or Karma, or whatever your belief system) who is responsible for the killing in war?

Please share. And remember, Ladies, be civil in our discussions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As far as Karma goes, you will not get in Karmic trouble. Unless you go out of your way to beat someone down, or hurt the women and kids. Death is expected in war. It all just matters what your intentions are from the heart.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Some religions view karma as a natural force of cause and effect, not so much a divine reward/punishment for good or bad acts. As a Buddhist, the best analogy I cna use for karma is that every cause has an effect, which in turn is the cause of another effect. If you think of an action like throwing a stone into a pond, the concentric ripples that reach out from that action are akin to karma. So in that sense, I think that karmic repurcussions from war are very broad and can affect all those involved, from those in high places to those on the front lines who may experience considerable guilt or psychological trauma. Bear in mind I'm not talking about 'blame', I'm talking about repurcussions and I think violence often has repurcussions for those involved, even if they are not morally at fault.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:13 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I agree with nightphoenix. It all depends on if you go out of your way to hurt a person that is an innocent by stander. Death is a part of war and sometimes war is a part of life.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:26 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• unfortunately i do not agree with nightphoenix. Many many many (groups of) people have had good intentions while slaughtering and killing thousands of people and i personally do not believe that, that makes it any more excusable.
    I am Pagan and i do not believe in Karma or the Three Fold Law. But i do believe that all of the individuals that you mentioned are responsible for the killing in war. The Commander in Chief, the CO as well as the man who pulls the trigger. They are all a part of it, and are therefore all held responsible. I DO believe in the Law of Attraction which, to me, explains why many soldiers suffer from PTSD and i suspect that any moral ex president (or current) has a certain level of guilt each time he sees a soldier in a casket.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:28 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

"THIS"
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:29 AM on Nov. 26, 2009