WHAT AM I!

Am I SAHM or a working mom? This is so dumb but someone posted for us in one of my groups to add our names to SAHM or working mom...I was like oh ok. Well technically I am a SAHM but I go to school FT for a pretty intense Medical Radiography Program and when clinicals start I will do 40 hours a week for periods of time. SO it prompted me to post this! Then I realized I have been a working mom as well as a SAHM and now a FT student all since having my first...talk about taste of all worlds. I am sure others are in my boat! LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• why does it matter. do these SAHM's think they are more motherly for being at home because they don't have a job outside the home and they are "at home" with the kids. Half of them probably are'nt even giving the kids their full attention through out the day anyways. I"m at home with my son when he is not at school..i work when he is at school. So what does that make me?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• oh..sorry to answer your question i would say you are a working mom..you are going to school so that you can go to work..if you are like me..you can be a 50/50 and consider yourself SAHM too, if your schedule is similar to how mine is
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Nov. 25, 2009 by: shay1130

why does it matter. do these SAHM's think they are more motherly for being at home because they don't have a job outside the home and they are "at home" with the kids. Half of them probably are'nt even giving the kids their full attention through out the day anyways.
    ________________________
    You just had to throw the rude comments in there didn't you?
    Anonymous

• i just hate hearing "i'm a stay at home mom" "he don't know how much i do" blah blah blah. get over it. Yall ride in on your high horses thinking you raise your kids so much better than everyone else because you "stay at home" ...then you like to turn it around and make it look like staying at home is a job. So if staying at home is a job then you are not that much better of a mother and your kids don't get anymore attention than a mom working outside the homes child would huh?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:07 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• That was harsh shay1130. I have done both and it is tough being a Mom working outside the home AND being a SAHM. We don't need to turn on one another. Being a Mom in itself is rewarding and tough no matter if you work outside the home or not. Come on we have to stick together if for nothing else but being women.  I think all Mama's are awesome. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:16 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I'd say you are a working mom. I'm a full time nursing student (til Dec. 11th anyway!!) and I consider myself to be working. Just because I don't get a paycheck doesn't mean I'm not working! I'm working harder than most people I know. Being a SAHM wasn't for me....I need my away time! I have a lot of respect for SAHM's. I just don't see how they do it! Working moms have it hard too! There shouldn't be a competion either way. Most mom's deserve respect, whether they are working or not! But to answer your question again, I'd say you're a working mom.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:22 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• it doesnt matter , you're still a mom lol , but ill say workin mom
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 12:30 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• You are a wonderful Mom who is work towards having a career outside the home. I will say you are a working Mom.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:37 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• The debate of working outside the home mom and SAHM will always be with us. They are both tough jobs, I have done both - I have been a SAHM who did in home daycare 60 hours a week and still considered myself a SAHM. I have worked outside the home 50 hours a week and still did all the stuff I did when I was a SAHM except my kids were in school. We all work hard at what we do - pluses to both jobs and negatives to both jobs. We are all MOMS who love our children, anyone who feels the other works less or cares less for their families are just looking for a way to make them feel better about their choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• What is up with this mom war? Why do we critize one another for our jobs, being a SAHM or a Working Mom. Just respect one another and move on. I am a SAHM but I work part time hours for the holidays. I am also a FT student going to be a teacher. I plan on working once all my kids are in grade school. But I still consider myself a SAHM until I work FT.
    PsychologyMama

Answer by PsychologyMama at 12:57 AM on Nov. 26, 2009