i have to get my labor induced...

What is the process that I have to go through...I just want to have a heads up

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That depends on how the doctor has chosen to induce you. Of course, if you do some research you can tell the doctor in what way you would prefer to be induced. JFYI cytotec is EXTREMELY dangerous and has not been approved for use in pregnant women. It has caused death, and uterine rupture and all sorts of other things. But doctors use it all the time.

May i ask, why MUST you get induced?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• A lot of moms will start with the prostaglandin gel, maybe have their water broken, then move on to the Pitocin. Others go straight into Pitocin... There are a few routes. Has your doctor/midwife talked about this at all? They will have a more definite answer, of course.
    How much time do you have?
    Why are you inducing?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I was already at 5 cm when I went to be induced. With me my midwife put a tiny pill in my cervix to help ripen it and she said this is often enough to get the contractions going for women. I had to lay down for two hours so the medicine didn't com e out. When that didn't work they put an IV in my arm with some Pitocin. An hour later at 8 cm they broke my water.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I was scheduled to be induced or anything, but I was having contractions five minutes apart and even though they were near painless my mom MADE me go to the hospital lol, she knew I was miserable anyway. So I got there and they hooked me up and checked me and everything to see what was going on. The doc said I had progressed in the past 4 days (I had an appt earlier that week) and just decided to start me on pit and break my water :P It was a hard time for me because my husband was in BMT at the time.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• That little pill that justluvinmyson is talking about was most likely cytotec which is (as i mentioned) very dangerous. here's a link that can answer some of your questions about it.

http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor.com/cytotec-information.html

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I Think it was called cervadell actually.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Cervidil is what a lot of them are using now. It was used at the start of my induction with my 1st daughter in 2006. They will usually only do something like cervidil if your cervix is still thick. If you have a ripe cervix going in they will most likely just put you on pitocin which is the scenario I had with my 2nd daughter last year. I was like halfway effaced and 2 or 3 cm going in for the induction which kinda gave things a headstart unlike the first time where it took 12 hours just to get into active labor. I'm sure your doctor will give you the full report before any induction like things happen. gl
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• justluvin, was it like a tampon?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• good to hear that it was cervidil. That has many less possible risks then cytotec.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• they conect you to IVs , then they place a balloon-type of thing down there so you can start to dilate , they giv you pitocin , if you choose to have th epiddural (which i strongly recommend ! it did wondersfor me :) i was lucky enough and BLESSED ENOUGH , i believe taht , the epidurral had a lot to do with my labor being a piece of cake :) ) then the doctors keep cheking you to see if you made progress , then they brake your water , then if you're dilated enough , you'll be pushing , then fast enough , you'll be holding your lil bundle of joy !

TAKE UR CAMERA WITH YOU , BUY EXTRA MEMORY CARDS IF YOU WANT TO , YOU'LL NEED THEM :)

GOOD LUCK ,A DN IN MY PERSONAL OPINION , AN INDUCED LABOR , IS A BETTER ONE THAN ONE NOT BEING INDUCED , CUZ WHEN IS INDUCED THE CONTRACTIONS ARENT BAD !

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS :)
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 26, 2009