I have a question for Pro-lifers

One of the arguments i hear most often is that you are speaking for the one who has no voice (the unborn). So, you believe that this women should have to have the baby despite the "it's her body" argument. Do you also feel it is okay to tell another person how to raise their child? I mean, the woman's body is no longer involved so if you saw a mom give a baby Mountain Dew in it's bottle would you report it? Or say something to the parents? I guess what i'm asking is how far does your voice for the child (the one with no voice) go?

I am NOT trying to start debate about what is better. I am pro-choice but i have heard enough of that debate. I am genuinely curious as to how far most pro-lifers take the "speaking for the one with no voice" argument (which i DO believe to be a valid argument).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• First of all, I'm very on the fence about how I feel about abortion right now, having had to have one to save my life. So I don't know if I qualify as "pro-life" right now, but I used to be staunchly pro-life.

Honestly, if I saw Mountaint Dew in a baby's bottle I would say something to the parent. The only reason I can think they would do something like that is out of ignorance.

I believe in freedom. As long as what you're doing isn't hurting anyone or impinging upon someone else's freedoms, do whatever you want. Mountain Dew in a baby's bottle is hurting them. Child abuse is hurting them. Neglect is hurting them.

Now, as far as who defines "hurting" and "abuse" and "neglect"... that's also up for debate. Some say that spanking or saying a single unkind word is abuse... should we let them define those terms? Some think it's fine to leave a baby in their crib, crying all day... do they get a say?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Totally different. We're not talking about parenting style here, we're talking about life and death. Totally separate issues. I see that like, I wouldn't step in if I saw someone give their toddler soda, but I would step in if I saw someone beating their toddler senseless.
    Anonymous

• Murder is drastically different than what you feed a child or what your rules are in the home!!! I would say, off the top of my head, any criminal behavior towards one who has no voice - murder, rape, violence, etc.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Would you watch a woman strangle a newborn to death and walk on by saying nothing because it's her choice?
    Anonymous

• Maybe Mountain Dew wasn't the best example. Maybe i should have said beer or wine or vodka instead. I see any of those things as harmful to the baby. Sometimes i forget that others don't believe that soda is "all that bad".
    Anonymous

• Murder is murder. There isn't a debate. Sorry.
    kittymommy

Answer by kittymommy at 12:05 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I'm pro-choice and I think your off base.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• killing a child to giving a child soda hmmm thats a dumb argument hun try again I will speak up for someone thats about to die for no reason. a little soda is not going to kill the child
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 1:21 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• And if they were giving the child beer or anything like that. YES i would still speak up. thats wrong too. everyone knows bc that shit can kill a child too
    chrstny88

• If I saw someone trying to murder their live baby, yeah, I'd stop them.

If I saw them feeding their kid mt dew in a bottle, I'd come on here and complain about it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2009