Are motorhomes worth the expense?

Cabominny

Asked by Cabominny at 11:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2009 in Shopping

• My Grandparents live and travel in one so I am guessing they would say yes! I guess it really all depends on much traveling you do. If you and your family are heavy travelers then I would say yes. The price of decent hotel can be expensive especially if you want to stay a few days. My grandparents joined some kind of club and they get to stay in the camp grounds for like $20 a week.. Most of them are even less then that and that includes all utilities!! So I'm guessing the answer would be yes! But thats just what I think!

smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• On behalf of the 10,000+ unemployed people laid off from all the RV factories in my town, I say absolutely!

But yes, they do hold their value pretty well compared to other things like boats, etc, and you never pay full price for one (or you shouldn't - there are always discounts if you look)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• We would LOVE to have a motorhome. It's our dream to buy an RV and hit the road. We homeschool so that would just be so cool to show our kids the historical sites of our country actually in person, plus they'd learn geography and math hands-on. Unfortunately, we can't afford one right now but SOMEDAY!!

From what I understand though, they are a good investment. Yes, the gas mileage is expensive but it's cheaper to stay at a campground than at a hotel, and you can just prepare your meals right there and don't have to eat out all the time, so that's a savings.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:28 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• We bought a pop-up camper because it was a lot cheaper and still awesome. We like to camp, but we don't want to do it in a tent (I know, I know). We got a used one for $1100, fixed it up a bit, and it's awesome. We've been using it for about 4 years and we love it.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:42 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I think so but it depends on your situation. We've borrowed a friend's RV this week to drive from our house in the Tampa area of Florida to my brother's house in Atlanta. There are five of us and while we have an SUV, add luggage for a week for five, a dog, dog crate, a few essentials that a single guy never has......well it's packed. So we have the super small class B+ RV for the trip and it made a HUGE difference. Plus, with the fridge we loaded it up and had plenty of food for lunches (up and back) as well as stuff to have when we got here so we didn't have to go to the market right away.
    If you can find a good deal on one, yep, they're worth it.
    DestMasters

Answer by DestMasters at 8:50 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• No.
    Not that I have one but my Mom has had about 5 over the years ranging from a couple thousand up to 60,000. Right now she has two and has been trying to sell a class C for years. I'm sorry but they take forever to get anywhere in them and they gobble gas like crazy. It used to be cheap to park them on trips... not so anymore. They don't use them enough to be worth the money IMO. I could take a heck of lot of fun trips with 60,000 they spent on the last one.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2009