My neighbors smoke and its seeping into my apartment...

and I have a 2 week old with me. Its frustrating because I smell it all of the time now.

So far I have the AC/FAN running 24/7 to try and get it to circulate out, I boil water and eucalytus oil or water and vinegar to try and drain out the smell. We had our carpets shampooed not too long ago and I vacuum like everyday

the smell ust wont go away

my fiance complained to the landlord about a similar issue about 6 months ago and he again called and complained again today but she wont be back in her office until Saturday probably

What can I do to help get rid of the smell?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 12:56 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Personally I would move. There is no absolute solution. If you can not move right now, you have to have ionizers running constantly and change the filters frequently. Vacuum the filters weekly.
    If the smokers are nice, try talking to them and see if they can do it as far away from your door and windows as possible.
    Is the electricity included with your rent or do you pay it seperately?
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 7:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• cover ur noses !

be patient , i know is frustrating b/c you are concern for you baby , but if i were you , i'll mop with scented products that they have and maybe , taht'll get rid of the smell .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• ok anon :12 what is she going to do mop all day? MOPING does NOT get rid of cig SMOKE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Unless you plan on going next door and telling them to smoke outside, you're stuck till the holiday is over. And, honestly, I might consider moving. It will probably be a long term problem if they've been spoken to before and are again disregarding the complaint. Tell the landlord you have a tiny baby. Also, don't knock yourself out with the cleaning and stuff, smoke is tough to remove. Keep windows open. Good luck. I'm sorry.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:22 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Put a rolled up towel down in front of your door. I'm guessing that this is where the smell is coming in.
    I'm sorry, I understand your position, but you cannot demand that your neighbors not smoke in their own apartment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• op

yeah we live in the back above the garage, i have every window open but i smell it even worse outside
    im going to look in the lease, we both have asthma and this is not helping
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Living above a garage can cause more problems than just smoke from the neighbors. Dangerous fumes can rise even if the garage has not been used in a long time. They are finding that firemen who sleep over the garage area have higher rates of cancer because of the fumes that seeped into the wood and into the upstairs. I'd move somewhere safer. As for the smoke, I have a neighbor whose smoke comes in from my bathroom vent and it's a pain to have to get up and turn on my vent every time he smokes but until ppl wise up and stop smoking there isn't much we who have health issues can do. I have a room ionizer, my a/c is on all the time. I have a fan but still the smoke gets in here. I'm allergic to smoke but do others care that my throat closes up when they smoke inside? Nope. They don't care about anyone but themselves.
    Anonymous

• Girl, I hear your pain, I have neighbors that are using meth and smoke and do whatever ALL NIGHT LONG!!! in and out, people over, it's crazed and there are kids in there that they won't let CPS in to see them??? But for your immediate issues I too would probably move if possible Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• If the lease states that the apartments are to be non-smoking and your neighbor is disregarding the rules & smoking anyway, then the landlord *could* evict him or her, but more than likely doesn't care because the landlord doesn't want to loose his or her rent money. If there is nothing in the lease that states the apartments must be non-smoking, then you are stuck with the neighbor's smoking, unfortunately. However, if you can show through a doctor's note that you both are asthmatics & that the cigarrette smoke is adversely affecting your health, then you could probably break your lease with no trouble from the landlord and move, which is what I recommend you do - move.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• I plan on moving with my fiance into a house so we have no close neighbors. were going to be moving in March though :( maybe Ill try for february and just pay rent here for 2 months while we wait for the lease to disolve.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2009