would you lend someone the money?

there is a girl i work with that always seems so needy...she is pregnant and is always wanting to borrow money. I know she has had drug problems in the past, i'm not sure if she still does (i'm only assuming that she does'nt because she is prego and she goes to drug court) Would you let her borrow? Or would you give up your shift so she could work? I mean, I like having a little extra money to but who knows what she is doing with hers.....

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 1:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• i would keep my shift and tell her NO. u cant live ur life taking money from ppl. how will she ever grow up. if she takes money from you when will she pay it back? Will she take it from someone else to pay you back? and so on and so on. BAD IDEa. PLus with income based housing food stamps and all that stuff she can deal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I did tell her no and the only reason i did tell her no is because i know about her history...drugs, etc...
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• i just feel a little bad bcuz she is pregnant i guess
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• i wouldnt give up my shift or would i lend her money.....i mean i know things are tuff but like anon above said she can deal.....i have a friend just like that....she called me and asked for money because her dd needed milk and i happened to have the kind of milk she needed that i NO longer needed(since my dd is 16mths) and so i told her hey u can have the milk cause i dnt have the $$(which i really did) and guess what she NEVER showed up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't lend her money or give up your shift for her. She made those choices and there's support for her out there. She has to be the one to seek it out. Asking for handouts is not seeking help if you ask me. You don't know what she's doing with her money and if it was me, I wouldn't want to be associated with her because of her past drug issues. I think you feel for her because she's pregnant, but since she is pregnant, she has options to get herself help, she just needs to pursue them.
    ALLO2009

Answer by ALLO2009 at 1:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I wouldn't lend the money, but that doesn't mean you can't help out. Find out what she needs. You could always get her some groceries or something for the baby. If you can afford it and want to, you could even pay a utility or doctors bill for her. I would ask for the bill and send it in yourself. I guess my point is, if you want to help, there are ways to make sure you know needs are being taken care of and it is not wasted!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:11 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I would certainly refer her to a social services agency that can help her learn to help herself.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• No to all your questions. She needs to clean up her act, if not for her baby's sake. Don't feel sorry for her, she got into this situation because of bad chooses. Never mix money with friendships or even relatives. Unless you willing not to see that money again. Give her some phone number to where she can get help.
    Anonymous

• Borrowing means you expect to be paid back-- and honestly you probably won't be paid back. You can give her the money knowing that it *might* go to drugs. You can give her an extra shift knowing that that will take away from your family, and again that money *might* go to drugs.... either way it's up to you, but I probably wouldn't loan her the money.
    ~E
    Anonymous