how do i cope with Cancer?

my boyfriend (of 6 years) was diagnosed with testicular cancer 2 days ago.
we are both devistated and sad :( i honestly dont know how to cope with him having cancer, he acts different (and he has every right) but it does hurt me too because i care about him. i dont know how to support him...i dont know how to be strong enough for the both of us.
its soo difficult beacuse i am a working mom, he is a stay at home dad to our 2 year old daughter.
how do i cope with his cancer?

jayleegirl

Asked by jayleegirl at 2:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• Just take it a day at a time and just be as supportive as you can be! That's all you really can do. I have had cancer before and I was devistated. I thought I would never have kids or anything. I was able to have it removed and now here I am. What might help is finding a support group so you can talk with other women who have loved ones with cancer or specifically that type of cancer.
    Best Wishes!
    ALLO2009

Answer by ALLO2009 at 2:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Take it one step at a time, one day at a time, most of all try and make him smile and be strong infront of him!!! let him know hey im here for you i love you, your gonna be fine and thats the end of it!!! When you TRY and make things normal they will get to a level where he is ok and staying positive is importnant! and healthy! everything will be alright..it will work out trust me!
    Eveshalloween

Answer by Eveshalloween at 7:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• If it is this scary for you imagine what he is going through. You should join a cancer support group so you have people that can support you so you are strong enough to support him through this. He is the sick one and needs you to be strong for him. He can't do that for you right now. My husband had cancer and it was really rough. I was lucky to have people around me that helped me help him. My husband returned the favor and was there for me when I went through breast cancer last year. He was strong for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I find myself in that situation except I'm the one dying. My husband feels helpless as how to help. First the anger we feel is not at you, some days I just feel so bad and do not want to be touch. reduce any and all stress for you both. I feel so angry I can no longer help out. Everything sets me off at times, at such times all need to stop everything and just be quiet for how long it takes. I know the fear he feels and in my case I cannot change the out come. It is no ones fault., keep things simple and have someone clean the house. I find myself pushing him away when I need him most and he me I'm trying to work on that. The next few days off will help.
    Anonymous

• Curing the Cancer and the Patient,” a personal reflection by Doug Bank

http://www.malecare.org/testicular_cancer_survivor.htm

Anonymous

• My son had cancer and nearly died twice. First ((((HUGS)))) You will need one person to hold your hand while you hold him up second keep a journal to discuss real feelings and fears you have this is your place to write down how you feel third take a deep breath and make an hour a week for yourself taking care of someone with cancer is hard work and listen to everything he says he is the patient. Remember you can do it if you ever need to talk you may im me. My son is alive and so you will make it and your boyfriend will recover!!!

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2009