At what age is it considered to be married young?

For example my hubby and I married in our early 20's, is that considered married young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• I've been married for almost 2yrs now. Im 22...

I would say that as long as you are a legal adult, and mature in your decision making, you can never be too young.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 3:57 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• The general idea seems to be that getting married before 25 is "young".
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:59 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Married before 25 is "young". Married before 21 is "too young". DH and I were 23 1/2 and 24 1/2 and we both had bachelors degrees, and a chance to see "what was out there".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• OP here: Reason I wonder is because it's one of the reason I keep hearing when married people separated...they married young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• All 4 of my parents daughters got married when we were 17, and only 1 of my sisters is still married to her husband. They've been together for 17 years now, and are still going strong. I was legally married for 7 years but only with him for 2 years after we got married. I was 17 and he was 25. The sister who is still married has a 12 year age diff. with her husband.
    We were all young and I don't know why my parents ever agreed to sign those papers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I was married at 19. even to me that seems young. I think too young is when you have to have your parents permission to wed.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:28 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I think by TODAY'S standards, marrying under the age of 25 is young. In the 50's and 60's it was very common to marry right out of high school, or between the age of 18-21. In the 30's and 40's you were considered an "old spinster" if you were over the age of 25 and not married. LOL!

Personally, I think the divorce rate is so high, because people marry for the wrong reasons (unexpected pregnancy, been together for a long time, financial reasons, other conveniences). All the power to you if you married young, and can actually pull off a lifetime of being together--sadly, it is not that common anymore.

I married for the first (and only) time when I was 32. My husband was 38 (1st time as well). Neither of us had children prior to marriage, and YES, we will be together until death.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:08 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Apparently I married "too young" according to the one reply! LOL. My husband I were married when I was 20 and he was 23. We had dated for 4 years before we were married. Granted we've only been married 2 years, but for the past 6 we've worked together and the past 2 lived AND worked together. I can truly saw that he's been my best friend this whole time. He's have to be or else we both would have gone crazy a long time ago!! We have a beautiful little baby girl and are very happy. Neither one of us really looks at divorce as an "escape route". We've spent to much time together to get a divorce.... we have to much dirt on each other ;) I think as long as you go in to marriage with the right intentions and for the right reasons you'll be fine if you married young. Too many people look at divorce anymore as an easy way out, instead of trying to fix,maintain, and enjoy their marriage.
    JoMcD

Answer by JoMcD at 7:18 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• It depends on where you live, and the education level and social class of the person making the assessment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• It seems like society's standards are you married young if you did before 25. Which means my husband and I did (I was 18, he was 22). Younger people do have a higher rate of divorce than older just because younger people generally marry without knowing what they are getting into or do it for the wrong reasons (like my brothers got married due to family pressure and because the one knocked up a girl, she was 16).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2009