Is putting on crib sheets just as difficult for you?

My baby's crib has bumpers above the mattress. It is on the lowest level and it's sooo difficult to change the sheets. Even if the bumpers weren't there.

Since the mattress is such a tight fit I have to struggle to lift it, then get it past the bumpers, then do the other side through the slits that I can barely fit my hand through. Since it's very low I can hardly reach in and touch the mattress. My baby is 10 months now and just really started using his crib. It took me almost 20 minutes with sweat dripping off my head to change his sheet. I can't imagine doing that 3-4 times a week! I have to be doing something wrong!!! Help!

crystal1480

Asked by crystal1480 at 4:19 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it's not that hard, far from sweat dripping hard! Maybe takes 5 minutes max, probably less. DD's is on the lowest setting and has bumpers in (She doesn't try to climb them). Don't know what you're doing. I slide the bumpers up a couple inches and then pull one side of the mattress up, put the sheet on those corners, push it back down and pull the other side up. I only change them once a week.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Same here. When my DS was little I too, would move the bumpers and lift one end up. I think the sheets shrink myself and I, being with carpul tunnel and always in pain here, I'd lift one corner, place the sheet over that corner, then do ther other 3 sides.

I did mine like they rotate tires, one corner on the right side, then one on the left, then the other right side one and then the 4th corner on the left. A bit like an "X". Doing both at one end got me, so I did it the other way.

It was tough putting a mattress pad ( the kind they have in hospitals for you to lay on, plastic on one side, cloth absorbent side to the other ) but I got it to work.

Good luck to ya getting it on just so!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Ugh. I don't have bumpers. I just lift the mattress out and do it. Now bunk beds - those are a pain!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:47 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I remember lifting the bumpers up and then lifting one end of the mattress then the other like blueliner said. My kids also now have bunkbeds! Those are worse lol. I cannot wait for them to get their own rooms so we will just have 2 reg beds!
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 7:31 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I took the whole mattress out and put the fitted sheet on
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:04 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• It's a pain for sure, but I'm getting better at it.

I recommend getting jersey knit sheets for the crib because they stretch easier around the mattress. I have a harder time with the plain cotton ones.

Also, if your child is big enough to be on the lowest setting then you can probably do away with the bumper by now. He's not likely to get stuck between the rungs anymore and if he's standing up he could use the bumper to boost himself over the edge and fall out of the crib.

Loose the bumper and get some jersey knit sheets. I swear it will be easier after that! Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• When we had the bumpers on, it was really hard. So I came up with an idea. I took a larger blanket (fleece for example) and laid it across the fitted sheet (tucked in tight) and had my DS sleep on that. Then I would change the blanket frequently and didn't have to change the fitted sheet as much. That was before he started turning over. Once he started turning over, I took the bumpers off for safety reasons and then changing the crib sheet was much easier.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• i took the bumper off when it was that low, and my mom works at a hospital, so she got me waterproof pads. I put one of those in between two sheets, so all i had to do is take off a sheet one week, and the following week i had to change the whole thing.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 9:27 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I only change the sheet once a week unless there is some noticeable spit up. I take the matress pad out myself. It is a total pain, but not so bad.
    Syra3.14159

Answer by Syra3.14159 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I just did away with the bumper early on, because there really is no point to them except to look nice in the crib. And I just lifted the mattress out completely up, slip the sheet over the one end, go to the other end, slid the sheet on the other end and drop it. I was able to do that at high and low levels.
    armycoppertop

Answer by armycoppertop at 10:17 AM on Nov. 26, 2009