how i can make my 3 year son be confident brave

my son is 3 year old but he is very shy i want to know what and how i have to act with him wich make him confident bold and brave ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to show your excitement and give lots of praise for the simple things he does, and as his confidence builds for the more complicated things he does.

Start small. Tell him how proud you are of him (and maybe give him a little reward/treat telling him why he's getting it) when he does things you expect him to do, but without having to tell him. Have him help you around the house, and then tell him things like "I couldn't have done it without you, thank you!" Tell him how handsome, sweet and wonderful he is!

Your son is young, but in the next 2-3 years, start looking into age and skill appropriate clubs and "pee wee" sports leagues that focus on confidence building through "errorless success" (everybody wins--which I only agree with when children are young,as they get older they need to learn that sometimes they'll lose) and team work.

Your local recreation department and YMCA are good places to start!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:17 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• kids learn fast. i bet he absorbs so much and keeps it just to himself - that's why he's shy. i'd look into proverbs, old-times sayings and said some of relevence to him. might help. have you tried talking bed time stories (your own) as well, short but simple, in which brave and bold people are those who profit? i'd start from that.
    one could be: "wolf is not as bad as people depicture him". better, why not to finish you stories w/ those sayings? look up for some on the internet and be creative at nights for him! all the best to you!
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 7:22 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• You cannot change someone's personality! If he is going to be shy, he is going to be shy. All you can do is encourage him to be more involved. I have been shy all my life and it has not been a problem. I have friends, but I have to get to know people before I open up and trust them. That is not a bad thing. It doesn't mean I am not brave because it takes a lot of bravery to walk into new situations and make friends. Just let him be who he is and love him the way he is. He is 3, remember that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• You need to let him go at his own pace. If he needs you be there..don't push and "encourage" him out on his own. He will do that when he feels comfortable.

I would go here for more guidance: http://naomialdort.com/discussion.html
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2009