Incredibly Gassy Baby

My 3 1/2 month old has had incredibly bad gas the past 2 days. It wakes her up when shes sleeping and is making her incredibly fussy. I've been giving her mylicon to help ease her discomfort. Does anyone know of anything else Ican do to make her more comfortable? She drinks formula and eats rice cereal one feeding a day.

JoMcD

Asked by JoMcD at 7:10 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to your doctor about the cereal, its probably to soon. Is her formula iron fortified? If so you might want to switch to one with less iron. Always burp her and continue to gently burp her if she's still fussy. Some babies have a harder time than others digesting formula, you may have to switch to one of those super expensive but really gentel formulas(can't think of the name). I think most insurance companies cover it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Stop the cereal - some babies don't react well to it as young as she is.

and if stopping the cereal doesn't help try a different formula.

rub the tummy - in a sweeping motion with the heel of your hand on the groin and fingers at belly button sweep firmly clockwise strokes across. that stimulates the colon to get moving.

also do the bicycle move - then hold one knee to the opposite side and vice versa. she'll scream, but it works (had to do it for my 2 younger super gassy girls)

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:29 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• The pediatrician has us using the cereal because she is hungry all the time. And she's already on the more expensive formula.
    JoMcD

Answer by JoMcD at 1:03 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• more expensive doesn't mean better. try a different one.

and just because the pediatrician says you need to doesn't mean you 'need to' if its causing the pain then stop.

just try for a few days to not feed her cereal - if she improves then thats what it was. if it didn't help then change the formula.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Bicycle her legs and try laying her on her stomach across your lap. The pressure against her stomach may help release some of the gas.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 6:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I agree with the bicycle legs...that's helped my son most of the time he was gassy along with Mylicon. It actually worked so well that it was usually my favorite tip to give at baby showers when asked for "new mother advice".
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 12:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2009