Please help me, I have a problem with my baby.

Okay so here's the deal, my 6 week old is extremely fussy, but only around the same time everyday. Usually between the hours of 4 am and 8 am. But she doesn't doesn't want her bottle, she has a clean diaper, I give her gas drops and I make sure she is burped. I bounce her, I swaddle her, I put her in her swing, I've tried just leaving her alone, I've sat in the tub with her (witch seemed to work, until my fingers prune and we have to get out). I've listened to my mom and put just a little karo syrup in her bottle to see if she needed to poop, that wasn't it. I am completely stomped. I am a first time mommy... What to do????

fallingfiamonds

Asked by fallingfiamonds at 9:13 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like colic, but your'e doing great, and all you can do, just try to make her comfy, put on some baby music, soothing music. GL
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Sometimes there isn't much you can do. I used to take my baby out for walks and like after walking for 45 mins he would suddenly burp and be ok!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• First, know that this will pass....we just can't tell you when.
    And try to get enough sleep, so that when 4 am rolls around, you aren't sleep deprived.

You are doing everything right. You just have to adjust to her schedule until she is ready to re-adjust herself.
    Keep your chin up, mom, you are doing great!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• My son had colic, and it seemed nothing I could do would comfort him. All you can do is try different things as it seems you have from your post. Gradually you will learn what comforts her and what does not. My son did love to be rocked in the rocking chair, that seemed to help for him. Also sometimes a car ride. Hang in there....
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• It's her "witching hour". My oldest did it from 6pm until 10pm every single night. You could set your clock by him. There really isn't anything to do. MMy osn did it from about 6 weeks until about 3months. That was the longest 6 weeks of my life, but as quickly as it started...it ended.

Colic is when they can't be calmed for a much longer period...usually the majority of a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• As the PP said, it is called the "witching hour". It is totally normal, and almost every baby does it. Do you have a sling you could carry her around in? I have found mine to be the best thing ever. It really helped through those tough times!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 10:08 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• sounds like colic to me. get some gripe water.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 10:23 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Fussy doesn't strike me as colic at all. Colic is -constant crying for 2 or more hours- This is "the witching hour" or hours !

My son STILL has SHORT fussy periods during the day and he's 9 months old.

If it's tummy pain, try bicycling babies legs and putting a warm water bottle around babies tummy over babies clothes. Youknow, it looks like a whoopee cushion but holds water. Try laying down with baby on your chest or tummy and stroking and massaging babies head, neck, and back.

If it's that baby wants closeness - take off your shirt and lay down with baby on your chest or lay down side-by-side with baby touching your skin. I always breastfeed at this time, but if you're not nursing you could try dry-nursing or giving a binkie. You can also get a sling and walk around with baby in the sling. If NOTHING else worked, walking around with my son in a sling always did the trick. Good luck mama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• And btw do not put karo into your babies bottles. Many moms do it, but it carries a risk of botulism - especially in a baby under 1 year old. If your baby is not straining at poohs, belly is soft, baby is passing gas, baby is not having bunny-poop looking pellets for pooh, FF baby has not gone more than 5 days and BF baby has not gone more than 20 days .. it is not constipation and forcing them to go can cause more problems than help. They can become dependent on whatever you are using to make them go and lose the ability to go on their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• And by straining I don't mean turning red and trying. I mean grunting and crying - repeatedly straining like this - and NOTHING coming of it or pellet-like pooh coming out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 26, 2009