Anyone ever faint during a bowel movement?

Last night I got terrible stomach pains. So I went to the bathroom and tried to have a bowel movement. It wouldn't come. I suddenly started to feel really faint, dizzy, hot and have severe pain. Next thing I know I fainted. I'm passed out on the floor and could feel my head continuously hitting the ground like convulsions. Now, my face is looking like I've been in a fight!
Has this ever happened to you before? Or have you heard of this happening to anyone? What could this be? It has never happened to me before except lastnight. In the past I've been diagnosed w/Ulcerative colitis but haven't had a bout of it in awhile. Please help...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Health

• Vagus Nerve Stimulation: Fainting may occur if the vagus nerve, which supplies the neck, chest, and intestine, is stimulated. When stimulated, the vagus nerve slows the heart. Such stimulation also causes nausea and cool, clammy skin. This type of fainting is called vasovagal (vasomotor) syncope. The vagus nerve is stimulated by pain, fear, other distress (such as that due to the sight of blood), vomiting, a bowel movement, and urination.

Fainting after urination (micturition syncope) or after a bowel movement is partly due to straining (in addition to stimulation of the vagus nerve).
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:39 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• This happened to my mom, minus the convulsions, and she was diagnosed with IBS, or Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Nov. 26, 2009