Help My Dog Please

He's eating his ass off. I guess he had a hot spot but now he's chewing on it soooo much it's raw and I'm afraid it is going to get infected. He's got a huge bald spot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Get to the vet and get him a head cone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Do you know what's causing the hot spot? Get rid of what's causing it and he'll heal. He's chewing because it itches. You can try some oatmeal shampoo to ease the itching. You may even be able to give some benadryl, but BE SURE to call the vet before you do!!

I had a dog that developed the same condition. We changed her food to something more than what you can buy in a grocery store/Walmart and she's healed. Another thing that may cause the itching is an allergy to fleas (your dog can have fleas and you may not even notice) or an allergy to other environmental factors.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:49 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Check him for fleas because that could have caused the hot spot in the first place. I would also see if you vet carries Neopredif powder because that is excellent for hot spots. If they don't you can put either baby powder or gold bond on it to help dry it out. I would just go get a Elizabethan coller either from the vet or pet store so that he can't chew on himself. I would get him into the vet though becuase hot spots are cause by several differant things and if you don't stop the cause the dog will continue to get them

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• bath your dog in oatmeal and put advantage on him every month. Take him to the vet first since he seems really bad. They should give you a cone to put around his head so he wont bite his butt off.
    Jeatonic1

Answer by Jeatonic1 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Thanks for the responses. He just got so bad in the last couple days. Like he's chewed off his fur on his lower half in just 2 days! I told my mom to put a cone around him and put on some oatmeal. When the vet opens back up I'll have her take him. He's been eating the same dog food for years though I know they can change their formula. He doesn't have fleas because we use Advantage every month already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• If you put a cone on him without relieving the itching he will go insane trying to scratch the area. Our dog managed to scratch herself on the wooden swing set and we had to pick out slivers.
    You can call your vet today. Yes, it's a holiday, but that's what answering services are for! They will relay the message and the vet can probably give you the dosage for benadryl over the phone.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Have the vet test for mange
    Anonymous

• GO TO THE VET!

Seriously, people should not have dogs that can't figure that out.
    Anonymous

• Hey stupid, it was the weekend. I'm not taking my dog to the vet for a non emergency.
    Anonymous