Toddlers and trash?

My daughter, who is now 21 months, has been digging for trash since she could walk. She loves throwing away trash! It started as a she was helping with chores thing, but now, she will walk around for the house looking for anything that could be trash. She will try to take partial drinks, mail, and all sorts of other things. She always asks first, but she is constantly trying to throw things away. Is this common?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes! Atleast in my house it is! I had to hide my trash container because my oldest would not stop throwing everyone's SHOES away! My youngest is 15 months old and I have to keep him out of the kitchen with a gate, but when the gate is moved for a nano-second he is in there digging around! The worst was when we were doing pumpkins and I moved the gate so that I could take the knives into the kitchen, sure enough I turn around and I have pumpkin guts all over my kitchen floor because my baby boy was playing in the trash...YUCK!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:05 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• yeah....mine did it too.

the oldest would toss small things - easily lost small things that sink to the bottom of the garbage can.

middle would toss random papers - but she crumpled them into teeny tiny balls first.

youngest throws anything that looks like garbage away...even daddy's wallet the day he forgot it at home.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:11 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• unfortunately it stops....can't get them near a garbage now.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:12 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• How cute, mommies littel helper! You might want to get a trash can with a self-closing lid though, when DS was 2 he was fascinated with the trash, reached in and cut his hand very bad on a tuna can, plus everytime he got in it, I had to stop and wash his hands etc,,, good news or bad news, can't get him to throw away a darn thing now-LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:16 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• get her a basket ball net
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Yes, just be sure to check carefully that she isn't throwing important things away. I still feel bad because when I was helping at someone's house I saw their 1 or 2 year old son throw a shoe away. I didn't want to dig through their garbage so I figured I'd just tell them when I saw them, and I forgot! I wonder how long they looked for that shoe. This was my pastor's family and I guess their son had a real problem with throwing all kinds of things away because during a sermon one time the pastor talked about how they had dug through bags and bags of disgusting rotting garbage that week because their son had thrown the checkbook or a wallet and some other important things away. They are a large family with 6 kids, so they had a lot of garbage to dig through.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• yeah mine love too as well.

I don't like taking him to mcdonalds to play because all he does is pick up trash..yuck!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• My DD is 23 months old and is the same way! LOL. Only now we have started taking things out of the trash! Gross.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:27 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• My 17 month old likes throwing away trash too. It's pretty cute!! She will sometimes rummage thru it as well.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2009