Trick Or Treat Movie

My DH and I saw a trailer for this movie years ago and waited for it to come out on DVD so we could rent it. Well, it came in yesterday and we watched it... I have to say I was sadly disturbed by this movie.

They talked about how Samhain was the evil ancestor to Halloween and often included Human Sacrifice. Then they had the "spirit of Halloween" which was an evil, demon like child named Sam, running around killing anyone that didn't honor the traditions of Halloween... He also happened to lead a Werewolf orgy...

Now, my DH is Christian. He doesn't know much about Pagan beliefs but he now thinks I'm completely insane for celebrating a day that included Human sacrifice...

How to I explain that this is a MOVIE and not even based on reality?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just say simply that. And then explain to him your actual beliefs. My husband is Pagan, and he was laughing that the ridiculous nature of the stories in this movie. I am not Pagan, but I learned a lot about my husband's beliefs before we were married, so I wasn't thrown off by an inaccurate theatrical representation. Tell him that is exactly what this movie is.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• It probably has some truth to it.

Why are you watching Halloween movies anyway? It's time for Christmas movies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Considering the fact that he worships a man who was nailed to a tree 2000 yrs ago...who here is "celebrating human sacrifice"?

Just remind him it's a @#$%ing MOVIE!!! It's Hollywood!!! No more true to real Paganism than "Charmed" "Bewitched" "Practical Magic" or "The Craft".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Anonymous

Considering the fact that he worships a man who was nailed to a tree 2000 yrs ago...who here is "celebrating human sacrifice"?
    ~~~~~

Don't forget the zombie aspect of being raised from the dead. People in glass religions really should not stone others....

As for anon 11:09, I don't allow seasonal traditions to dictate what I do or do not watch...if I want to watch something, I watch it. Sorry you are so limited in scope.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• It probably has some truth to it.

Except not. Tell him that movie has as much to do with any pagan religion as Santa Claus the movie has to do with Christianity.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2009