Am I really weird?

Whenever I see a baby sick/hurt on TV I cringe and turn the channel and hug my son extra tight or pick him up.

Whenever I hear/read about a baby being abused or neglected I think about it for a while, maybe tear up a bit, and hug my son extra tight or pick him up.

And I just can't stand the idea of leaving my son anywhere very long. I left him at his Grannies for a chiropractor appointment recently and all I thought about while I was gone - was him.

He's 9 months old and I rarely let anyone babysit.

Am I really strange? Is anyone else like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think thats pretty normal.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you're weird at all. I think when most parents see other kids in a tragic situation, it just reminds them how precious their kids are to them & how thankful they are for healthy, protected children. Our 4th baby was born at 23 weeks & spent 2 1/2 mos. in the NICU. Even though she is now 3 yrs old & has suffered no lasting complications of being a micro preemie, most children born at that gestation die, or have severe, lasting disabilities because of it. So, every time I see a picture or something on TV or whatever, of a sick, or preemie baby in the hospital, especially on a vent or with a feeding tube, I immediately tear up and want to hold my daughter. I think it shows that you have empathy for others, and for me, I am so thankful that my daughter survived and is perfect & healthy when others may not be.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• OP ) Thanks Blessed. My son spent 2 weeks in the NICU and that was a nightmare. I can't imagine 2 1/2 MONTHS. I think you're right and maybe I'm extra clingy to him and get so perturbed about hurt/sick babies because he had such a rough start?
    Anonymous

• It's one thing to be concerned about what you read and see...it's another when you start over reacting. From what you've read, I think you're borderline over reacting.
    Anonymous

• OP) So the question in the general parenting section about the 12 month old who is left alone all day in her high chair or in front of the TV while her dad plays video games and smokes pot.. doesn't stick with you at all and make you feel a bit upset?

So if I am over-reacting what am I to do about it?
    Anonymous

• I can't watch any shows or the news about kids or babies either. I have to change the channel or walk away.

and my kids are older.

I think you need to get some freedom and let other people watch him though...its not doing any good for you or him if you're the constant overvigilant mom. you can't protect him and shelter him forever
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• As my kids got older (have an 18 & a 25 yr old as well as a 3 & 4 yr old), I tended to loosen up a bit. Once they can talk & tell me if anything is wrong or if someone hurt them. My brother, my sister & I were all abused as children, my brother by a babysitter when he was a year or 2, me by a teacher when I was in 4th grade, & my sister & I both by uncles... needless to say, because of this, I have made choices about raising my children that some think a bit over protective, but I will do whatever it takes to keep my children from going through what I went through. If your baby is with someone you really trust, then you need to get out & have some time to yourself... it's OK to think about him while you're away from him though! I know exactly how you feel!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2009