Does burping your baby after a feeding prevent spit-up?

Sometimes I can't always get her to burp. My mom nags at me for not always getting a burp out of her and stresses the importance of it. But... Is it really that important?

_MammaMia_

Asked by _MammaMia_ at 1:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Up until a certain age, they can't burp by themselves. That's all....Some are hard burpers, some are easy to burp.

To a certain degree, yes, burping prevents spit up. In some kids, nothing helps.

If she's hard to burp and spits up a lot, try burping her after every couple of ounces. Our pediatrician said that if they don't burp after about 5 minutes, they probably aren't going to burp. LOL

I found that putting my sons higher on my shoulder (so my shoulder was right below their ribs) they were easier to burp.

It just gets the air out that can possibly give them a tummy ache.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I breastfeed and the lactation consultant at the hospital said to try to burp her for 30-60 seconds and if she doesn't burp, then don't worry about it. I try to burp her every time but she will often only burp after every couple of feedings. She seems to spit up more when she doesn't burp, but I don't really worry about it. I put a bib on her so she doesn't spit up all over herself and then we go about our business. She doesn't act upset by not burping so I don't see any reason to kill myself to get her burp.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Burping often can prevent spit-up, but a burp isn't always necessary. Sometimes they just don't have to burp, and no amount of patting or rubbing them on the back is going to change that. Definitely try, but if nothing comes up, it just means baby doesn't have gas; nothing bad about that. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• My 3rd born rarely burped and almost never spit up. It seems unusual, but I am guessing it is just another one of those things that "all babies are different.". Generally burping prevents some pit up, but not all babies need to burp every time!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Nope! My LO spits up whether he burps or not! It's just as bad either way also!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2009