Would you make him stick with his decision?

My DH bought a pie yesterday, pumpkin. I don't like it. I was planning on making a pie but decided against it because I was the only one who was going to eat it and decided against the extra calories. So a little while ago our 6yo goes into the kitchen and sees the pumpkin pie and is making faces about it and complaining about it and stuff. I said something like, "I thought you liked pumpkin." and he continued with his faces and complaining. So I asked, "Would you rather have chocolate?" To which he got super excited and said yes. So I decided to let him help me make a pie. So we make it. Then after it's finished he says, "Can I have a slice of both?" WHAT? So basically I made a pie for nothing, the little brat. I told him no, he was having chocolate, he got all pouty and said, "you must have misunderstood." Um, no, he was quite clear on what he wanted. Am I wrong to tell him he can't have the pumpkin and must have the other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make him have the chocolate
    Anonymous

• good grief! let him have both... (small pieces of each) if he wants to try the pumkin, I say let him...
    Anonymous

• Someday when he's grown and gone your going to think back on this pie that he tricked you into making. Will he remember it as a happy time when he score 2 different kinds of pie, or that he got barred from the pumpkin?
    I'm not sure what the right answer is, but these will become your family memories.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Anonymous

• make him stick with his decision.

if you give in he may just keep trying to push that "I can manipulate my mom" button.

and let your dh know ahead of time what the situation is so that he can't go to daddy and ask for both.
    Anonymous

• Oh come on, it is Thanksgiving, and big deal little kids change their mind all of the time, did you have fun letting him help you make the pie? He got to spend some time with his mom, one on one, it pains me you call your kid a brat, think of all you have to be thankful for today, think of all of the moms who have children who are overseas, who have died, who are in prison, whatever have a glass of wine, and give him a hug and on little slice of each mom, he wants to make both you and daddy happy!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• he doesn't want Mommy and Daddy to be happy....he's being manipulative to get what HE wants.

sheesh....
    Anonymous

• OMG! What a day to post such a petty question... Make a family memory and BOTH of you eat BOTH pieces!
    Anonymous

• I don't see what the big deal is!!! Let him taste BOTH pies!! GOOD GRIEF!!!! You should feel VERY, VERY LUCKY you are able to spend the day with your child!! Guess what!!! I DO NOT get to spend Thanksgiving this year with my mom!!! She is in the HOSPITAL in ICU!!!!! THANKFULLY, with TIME and LOTS of medical procedures, she is going to be FINE!!! PRAISE THE LORD!! IMO, LIFE is TOOOO DANG SHORT to worry about silly stuff like should you give your son a piece of BOTH pies or not!! COME ON LADY!!! Lighten up!! I hope you have a HAPPY DAY!!
    Anonymous

• A manipulative 6 yr old? Really? I think he's just being a kid.
    Anonymous

• Wow, what a terrible waste of time, you baking a pie with your son. What a horrible thing to HAVE to do, spending time with your kid. Let your kid have a little slice of each and at least pretend that Mommy gives a crap and actually wanted to do something fun with her son.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2009