What do we do when nothing else works?

We tried talking, raising our voice, time-out, even spankings and they seem to not catch on. Our 2 year old girl and 3 year old son does not listen to anything. Is there any help?

cwhiteside

Asked by cwhiteside at 4:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yeah, get some parenting classes, they can help you decipher the dynamics at play for children to misbehave. Last resource call super nanny, she can help.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 5:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• As young as they are, you're trying to many things. Pick one and stick to it.

I suggest behavior modification. In a very small nutshell....you tell them to do something and they don't do it, they go into time out (standing in a corner works wonders they get tired much quicker) until they agree to do what they were told. No time limits. My 3 year old was standing in the corner for a good half hour the other night because he would wipe the table after he made a huge mess on purpose with his milk and green beans. (I had cleaned the mess up, he literally just had to run a cloth over the table where he sits) I haven't had a problem since then.

Remember that if you ASK them to do something, they have the right to say no. If you TELL them, they better do it.
    Anonymous

• Get the book "1 2 3 Magic". It is a commonsense approach to discipline the works. It takes the emotions out of discipline and puts the responsibility for choices and consequences on the kids. Read it all the way through and then follow it. Works wonders. Also, pick your battles.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I think your doing too many methods,--supernanny makes a great video and book, spanking a 2 year old is like putting a band -aid on a gaping wound--LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• You have to find a punishment that works for you and stick to it. We had 3 kids under age 5 at one time in life and we would put the oldest in time out and the younger ones had a different punishment as they didn't quite grasp the idea of a time out. I made a poster board for them at this point =where I had their names on top and a checklist going down. Now the youngest ones of course couldn't read but they knew if they got a star on their chart that day was good behavior and got a special dessert or whatever I'd concocted that day. I would put chores on there that were expected to be at least tried at once a day.. Brush teeth...help mom out ....wash hands...stuff like that. and at the end of the day I would either use a sticker star or smile face or draw one of either.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• call supernanny ! lol , jk , try reinforcing your parenting rights but being more consistent with your kids !

also , try what the other answerers suggested !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• You need to be consistent, always.

We used a combination of timeouts, taking away of privileges/beloved items, and reward charts.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2009