another gift question...

....i just hate feeling like i have to buy for EVERYONE...but anyways this is about my lil sis.. I am buying gifts for her 2 kids. I plan on buying something for my grandparents, parents, and my brother just because he will be leaving for bootcamp. Would i be wrong not to get my sister anything...if i'm getting everyone else something...i feel like.."i'm buying your kids stuff, i can't afford you too"...she does'nt have a job or anything and wont be returning the favor ( i know thats not what christmas is about) shes not even gonna be getting my child anything...i just kinda feel like i'm blowing money away on someone who likes to get handouts.

also, i've always felt like trading gifts is for the kids. I hate doing it as an adult.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you get for everyone but her then I see strained relations in your future.

You may care for your sis but it sounds like maybe the fact that she wont be returning the favor is overriding all else. Get her a small gift card or something similar that wont cost much. At least the gesture is there and you cant ever have the "but remember when you didnt " card tossed your way sometime in the future.

I dont get along well with my sis and I always get my neices something but I also make her and my BIL a "family" gift just like I do everyone else. I wont ever leave one out for any reason. Id rather be the bigger individual.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I agree. Tell everyone up front this is the way YOU will be doing things this year and be firm but friendly. Kids only and maybe bake something for each of the adults if you feel guilty about it.
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 6:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• we only buy children in our family. yeas your being selfish to her children. go to a dollar store and buy 5 gifts for each child only!! that is $5 per a child. donr deal..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I would just stick with the children....it should never be expected for adults to exchange gifts in this recession we are going through.
    If you begin to feel really guilty then buy a family gift that is geared more towards the children. I love the Family Movie Night packs where you make a gift basket of a couple of the kids favorite movies and place a couple packs of microwave popcorn in it and some extra treats to enjoy during the movie.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• roojo4...if you read my post...it says i am buying for her 2 kids..i just feel like since i am buying for her kids i really shouldnt have to buy for her too
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 26, 2009