Why am I depressed on Thanksgiving?

I spend the entire day until the evening alone on Thanksgiving. The holidays are a time of depression for me. My brother and sister never call and never come by. There to wrapped up in there own lives, and thats the way its always been. The last few years have also been very hard. Someone I really cared about betrayed me and Im still not over that relationship and we broke up almost 2 years ago. How can I get better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Holidays

• well at least you had some company during the evening! I had lonely holidays too and they arent fun. Even though you never get calls, perhaps you should try calling them?! you are their sister afterall!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Do you call your siblings? Maybe they would love to spend the holidays with you, you don't know if you don't try. This is a season that is about family and those that we love. I wish you the best of luck and hope things get better for you.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 8:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• A few years ago, my parents had recently split. Although I was an adult, it felt depressing to get together as a "family" when my dad wasn't allowed to come over. Everyone went their own way. I REALLY wanted to take a vacation by myself. I wish I had. That year, I went to my friends in-laws and after we went to a bar. I think back and wish I had done something for me.

Consider going away for the weekend next time!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I always feel bad. I suffer from depression. One way is not to expect so much and rest. Holidays are the worse everyone is expected to feel a certain way and do all the traditional things, but the reality is never the same. I already see the family arguments being posted. Try not to get caught up in all of it.
    Anonymous

• I've been alone all day. No siblings to come visit. I have a daughter and her family about 4 miles away. Did they call or invite me over? Nope. I've suffered from depression all my life but now have learned to fight depression I can't sit around and feel sorry for myself. I keep myself busy. Movement is good for fighting depression so I got out and walked around the neighborhood today. You also can't dwell on the past. If you are so busy looking back at your former relationship you cannot look forward and move on. Make up your mind. If you like being depressed then stay there, if not then make a change. Some change. Any change. Just do something different to set your life on a path of positive steps. Let the past go. Only you can do that.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I suffer from depression too and even tho I had people around me all day I still get moments of sadness. I think the holidays are stressful for anyone but especially if you are alone. We all have certain expectations of holidays and often they are not met. Have you ever thought about maybe going to a soup kitchen or nursing home on the holidays and helping out? They could surely use your help, you would feel useful and be around people. Just a thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Nov. 27, 2009