9 month old. just got her a walker...

Shes not really feeling it but i figure its about that time to try to get her to walk. How long do you think it will take?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never used a walker. I think they are useless. She will walk when ready.

Anonymous

• My kid didn't use a walker until after he learned to walk. Um....if she is already pulling up on stuff then a would say a couple of weeks. That's how long it took my kid.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Actually i found the walker to be super useful. My son was a very clingy baby but when we got him his jumper and walker it allowed him to be near me and having fun and exploring all at the same time. Especially when i was in the kitchen doing the dishes of laundry. The walker saved my life lol I was able to get things done with him at my side and i knew he was safe :) just keep trying it a little each day and you'll see eventually she will take to it. Especially when she realizes its a lot of fun lol Good luck

31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I don't think my daughter's walker helped her learn to walk. She just used it to scoot about and there wasn't any actually "walking" done in it.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 9:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• it also really helps strenghten the leg mussels too or just gives the child a little extra security to take those first steps.
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• the walker may actually slow walking process as it teaches the child to walk leaning forward. When outside the walker, the child will have to learn how to balance/stand upright to walk. It's great for a toy, much like an entertainer or a bouncer. Best way to learn to walk is for your child to just hold onto tables and couches and cruise.
    Anonymous

• that works too but i found from my own experience that holding onto things causes a greater risk of falling. To each its own :)
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• My son hated the walker and would throw a fit everytime I put him in there. He didn't start walking by himself until he was 11 months old and he was pretty wobbly. He started cruising when he was about 9 months but just wasnt brave enough to let go. There is a little boy at his daycare who is 14 months and still wont walk (there is nothing wrong with him his parents just carry him around everywhere too). Good luck but just remember your daughter is going to do what she wants when she wants lol
    Anonymous

• Our daughter was in a walker at 4 months and LOVED it! That was her favorite thing to do. She walked alone by 9 months!
    Sonylena

Answer by Sonylena at 10:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• The walker really doesn't help them learn to walk. My oldest walked a week after he turned one and I would put him in a walker. My daughter never used a walker and she started walking right after her 1st b-day also. The best way for them to learn to walk is by pulling themselves up on things and you encouraging them to walk to you. That's what worked for me anyways. 9 months imo is too soon to walk. Trust me once they start walking your job gets much harder lol
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:35 AM on Nov. 27, 2009