I need advice

Okay I took my daughter to the ER yesterday because her fever was 104.9 you add a degree under arm its 105..anyways, all they said she had was an ear infection. but her fever is still spiking over 105, and she is extremely unconsolable, she can't stand diapers or anything on her private area, she can't stand no one touching her legs. her nose is really dry, and she has been acting really tired,shes been bascially sleeping all darn day. barely staying awake. now can an ear infection really cause all this or can something else be wrong?

JamiesMommie22

Asked by JamiesMommie22 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is she? Sometimes with little ones, if they are in pain, they can't really tell you where at, or what is hurting. So, yes, if that is the case, an ear infection can be causing her pain, but she just don't know where or what to do about it. Does that make sense to you? I hope I am trying to say it right. Or she may simply have the flu and is having body aches and pains. Either way though, a fever of 105 is definitely a reason to take her to ER.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• all that could also be associated with teething... the ear infection, fever, runny nose. i dont really know about the diaper issue tho. All children handle things differently. You never know. Maybe you should get a second opinion just to be on the safe side! I think thats what i would do just because thats a pretty high fever abd use moms WORRY WORRY WORRY. Good luck and ill keep you and your little one in my prayers!
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• i would take her back to the ER, and not leave until you are satisfied with the answer they give you.
    Anonymous

• yes i just went though this with my DD she is 4 yearsold but her fever was the highest at 103 but after 4 days of sleeping and advil she went back to her normal sefl i was really scared i took her to the ER and they said the same thing about an ear infection gave her antibiotics. she would not were clothes and and the only thing she would dink is water and didn't eat anything hope this helps
    star_6_1

Answer by star_6_1 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Thank you everyone who have replied to this msg.
    JamiesMommie22

Answer by JamiesMommie22 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• 104 & up fever can fry the brain. She could go into convultions & seizures. It can cause brain damage. That fever for an ear infection should not be that high. It sounds more serious. I hope its not spinal menigitis or something really bad. I would want blood work done & test ran. Thats your baby don't settle for that. how does her throat look it isn't swollen on the inside is it. Or she could have a really bad urinenary tract infection. I would definatlly go back no questions ask I'd just put my foot down. Bettter to be safe than sorry it could be really bad stuff going on. She so little she can't really tell u. Try and ask her where it hurts. Good luck
    butterflie83

Answer by butterflie83 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• No, a 104 doesn't fry the brain and a 101 fever can cause febrile seizures as they occur from the rapid change in temperature. Meningitis can present with a low 102 fever.

OP: if you are not satisfied with the answer, go to another doctor. Sometimes they are wrong.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:44 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Dr. Sears: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp

A fever is not an illness in itself -- it's the symptom of an underlying problem (usually an infection), just as a car's engine light acts as an alarm signal. And not every one is necessarily serious. A higher fever doesn't always indicate a sicker child. Minor viral illnesses may produce a high temperature (104°F to 105°F), while some serious bacterial infections -- like meningitis -- may cause a lower one (101°F to 102°F). Also, a fever that spikes high but subsides quickly is usually less of a worry than a mild fever that doesn't come down easily.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:45 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Get to know the typical progression of her fevers, and pay attention to any deviation from their typical course. For example, if your child never runs high fevers and then o ne day does, that's much more serious than if her temperature usually reaches 104°F with a normal cold. The best way to know when to be concerned: Watch your child, not the thermometer, for increasing signs of illness. (One exception: If an infant 3 months or younger has a rectal temperature above 100.5°F for more than eight hours, you should call the doctor right away, whether or not she shows any other signs of illness.)

happytexasCM

• Most fevers will go down within a few days, but in the meantime, here are some ways to help your child feel more comfortable:

* Dress her in light, breathable clothing, to let the heat radiate out of her body. Don't bundle her in heavy blankets or cover her head.
    * Give your little one plenty of fluids -- such as water and juice -- so that she doesn't dehydrate.
    * Keep your child calm, since too much activity and fussing can raise her body temperature. Make sure she gets a good night's sleep too.And, of course, if your child's temperature continues to rise over a few days and she gets progressively sicker, call your pediatrician.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:46 AM on Nov. 27, 2009