tummy pains in a 4 year old

My little girl has been complaining of tummy pains for a while now over a month sometimes its everyday i took her to the doc and he said its out of habbit or maybe bc of milk i tried taking milk away for 2 or 3 days but she still says it hurts this morning she said it was hurting so i gave her a childs pepto and again tonight she was crying saying it hurt so i told a white lie to her and told her you can only take one of the pink meds a day and if her tummy was hurting again she was going to have to take this VERY nasty med ( I thought she would just be like ok its not hurting that bad) and she asked me how much of it she has to take she said "if its only a little bit I will take it"....it was so sad....what should I do if I take her back to doc should i say I want a ultra sound done on her and be firm so they will do something????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes be firm that is your baby. Doctors are not always right. You know your child best. It could be an infection. Or something worse like pedicitise which if it burst could kill her. It could be an alcer I would ask for blood test & a sonogram & other test to just check. Maybe she swallowed something she should not have. It never hurts to get more that one opinion. stand your ground!
    butterflie83

Answer by butterflie83 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Has she had a cold in the last few weeks? My daughter complained of stomach pain and they found she had pneumonia. The doc said that stomach pain is a very common symptom in children. She did NOT have a cough, fever or congestion when he found that. Also, I think the PP meant appendicitis...her appendix could be the problem, or it could be a hernia. Our regular doctor blew my daughter off just like yours is and a second opinion is what found the pnemonia. We are no longer seeing the doc that kept telling us to take pepto for over a month. I knew after her taking it three times that it was not going to work. Maybe try seeing someone else. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Take her back to the doctor and insist he find out what is wrong. No 4 yr old I know will voluntarily take "nasty" medicine. Ask for a referral to a gastronenteroligist (however you spell that). Your daughter could be allergic to ALL dairy (not just milk), she could have appendicitis and if her appendix bursts, that is bad. It could also be pnemonia--I heard about the stomach pains with pnemonia in kids too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I would demand that tests be done. And I totally agree with tyfry about consulting with a GI doctor. She could also have really bad reflux. My daughter had to have a nissen fundoplication surgery to correct her reflux. She was ALWAYS complaining about her tummy hurting her. Good Luck, I hope the best for you.! Just be persistent!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2009