carseat & stroller for new baby, and I already have a toddler. help!

So I'm trying to decide on the best option for my new baby girl on the way as far as a car seat goes. Is an infant seat better or is a convertible better and why? The convertibles have so many options that are absolutely fantastic, but I would miss out on the convenience of being able to grab the seat in and out of the car and leave her in it when asleep. Also would miss out on being able to take her out in a stroller, right?

I have a 21 month old who I expect if I ever wanted to go out both baby and toddler I would have to have them in the stroller but I just CANT find a good infant seat that has a matching double front and back stroller. UGH someone please give a little guidance!
I'm leaning towards just making dang sure her carseat (a convertible) is a 100% comfy, safe, and cute! rather then having the convenience of the carrier and the stroller....but if that is the case then how to I go out with both kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have a 2 y/o and a baby on the way. I bought a double (front back) graco stroller with a matching carseat for baby. I cant imagine skipping to a convertible and not being able to just grab the carseat. It almost seems lie a neccseity to be able to snap it in the cart at the store. This is the one I ended up with.

http://www.walmart.com/Graco-Duoglider-Tandem-Stroller-Tango/ip/10769954
    http://www.walmart.com/Graco-SnugRide-Car-Seat-Tango/ip/10902878

Some women would choose to skip infant seat and use a convertible. IN that case you could use a single stroller for your older child and a sling or carrier for baby. its up to you.
    mkrmomma1

Answer by mkrmomma1 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I use a Moby wrap to carry baby while toddler gets the stroller. I have heard that infant car seats r safer for new borns than convertable seats. so we do the infant seat and then switch them into the covertable one when they put grow it.
    Anonymous

• As long as baby is well supported, neither kind of seat is safer than the other (if you get a convertible, make sure you have an infant insert pad -- the seat normally comes with one). I debated about this choice, as well, and finally decided to use an infant carrier first if for no other reason than going out to eat before baby could sit up well on her own. My toddler still needed to sit in the cart at stores, and for long periods of walking he would still need the stroller, so in those cases I had a Snuggli in which to wear the baby. It worked out well for us. But we also still had my toddler's old infant carrier; if I'd had to buy a new seat either way, I may have gone with a convertible from the start to save on money down the road, in which case we probably would have taken the stroller for baby to sit in whenever we went out to eat.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• We got the Graco Quattro Tour Duo Stroller because it holds up to 50lbs in the front seat and 40lbs in the rear seat. And also fits the Graco infant seat we already have. So far I really love it.
    Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• tandem contours stroller i got mine at walmart online it's convertible two kids seats or acar seat attachent under $200 and as for a car seat just buy thebaby one and look for a foward facing when she's about 18mo
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I am in the same position. My dd is 19 mos and I'm 33 wks preg. I opted to get a convertible (just as safe, and saves a lot of money). I will use a sling or a wrap to wear the baby in and put my toddler in the stroller.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 27, 2009