How do you keep them out of the tree?

So the tradition in my family is to put the tree up after thanksgiving dinner. The problem this year was a VERY curious toddler..lol...i don't really want to spend the money on a yard XT so we put the playpen (which is really his overflowing toy box) in front of the tree so he cant get to it. I was just wondering how everyone else kept their child out of the tree.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have one of those XT play yards. We use it during the rest of the year to keep our little ones away from our plants or other various things, so it was worth the money for us to get it and it works great to keep them away from the tree.
    Anonymous

• There are gates that you can get extensions for that can go around the tree. They're not really that expensive. That's what we plan on getting for our tree this year.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• OOhh....good question. I haven't thought of that yet!! Mine is 8 months, crawls, walks holding on and gets into EVERYTHING!!! Plus, he's a little young to yell at to a point where he understands. I hope other moms come up with some good ideas!! Happy Holidays!!
    Jem0582

Answer by Jem0582 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Well, mine has been good so far. We put up our tree on Tuesday, because dh had to work tonight. She left it alone all day yesterday . . . . so I'm hoping that doesn't change.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• We ended up buying the superyard. We have a fake tree and it fits perfectly around it without the extensions. I think we bought it for $50 on sale. It'll definitely come in handy throughout the year I believe, so it'll be worth the money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Well we use a fake tree and I just put it up a few day with out any decorations then just the lights. Figure if they knock it over no big deal and hope it scres them enough to leave it alone....i now only ave to do this cause of the cat!!
    Or buy a smaller one and place it ona table more out of reach.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• You can try the most extreme putting a play yard around the tree to the lesser of just repetitively telling him 'no' and hoping for the best. Make sure all of the glass or breakable ornaments are at the top of the tree and don't leave your LO alone with it. My DD is 23 months and is doing well so far with just telling her 'no, no, no, not a toy!' she has pretty much left it alone so far... it's only been a few waking hours though. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:58 AM on Nov. 27, 2009

• When my son was young and into everything i would set the tree up inside the playpen of course that was 27yrs. ago when playpens were bigger.
    oosgrandma

Answer by oosgrandma at 12:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2009