Dog Food

How long is dog food good for? I buy my dog 15lbs at a time but it's just him and he's a small breed so it lasts for a good long while.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Check for a "Best if used by" or an expiration date on the bag..If there is no date I really don't know how you would tell when it was packaged.Maybe try calling the company.Myself if I only had 1 small dog I would keep using the food for 3 months.If there was any left I would probably throw it away and get a new bag in a smaller size,then I would feel that the food is fresh.As it is I have 6 small dogs and a 15 pound bag lasts them about 6 weeks.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 10:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• If you get an air tight food container that will help keep it fresh.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• Definitely check the expiration date, usually, they are about a year or longer. Getting an airtight container is a good idea if you don't go through it quickly, but place the bag in the container. Dog food bags are specially made to keep the food fresh and they will keep it fresher than any plastic container even after it has been opened. Even if you have one toy breed dog, a 15lb bag should be fine and not spoil before you finish it.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 3:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2009