are u suppose add or subtract a certain degree when u take a babys temp under the arm?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• rectal=reduce........underarm=add
    michelle0215

Answer by michelle0215 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• under arm - add
    rectal - subtract

so I agree with PP :-)
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• If u take it under the arm (axillary) u add one degree, if you take it by mouth (orally) u don't add or subtract, if u take it from the butt (anally) u subtract one degree.
    butterflie83

Answer by butterflie83 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-take-your-babys-temperature_11508.bc?page=2 This site gives very good directions on how to take your baby's temp accurately. A temp under the arm can be as much as 2 degrees lower than what the temp really is, so you're supposed to add 2 degrees. The website above gives really good directions on what way you should take the temp at what age, for the best reading.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• I don't agree with page one. There is no reason to take a child's temp rectally. There is the risk of damaging the child's lining of the rectum and causing infection. If the damage is bad enough the baby can die. Knowing an 'accurate' temp is just not that important. I have 3 children that had a lot of health issues and I never let anyone take their temps rectally. I never had anyone give me any problems about it even when they were in- or out- patients at a major children's hospital.

Here is an information sheet that mentions this problem about rectal temps and several others and gives info about taking temps, normals, ect.

http://www.kidzmed.com/pdfs/thermofocus-infrared-thermometer-body-temperature.pdf

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2009

• underarm add one
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 12:34 AM on Nov. 27, 2009